Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to boost USB microphone input level

hi

I have a MXL USB.009 24/96 microphone.

MXL USB.009 24/96 Digital USB Condenser Microphone Level 1 - Newegg.com

When recording on my Mac, the input level, even with the gain turned way up, is very weak, and barely noticeable as a tiny bump on the wave display.

As I've been searching on the web for a solution, I find that many people have been asking about this low input volume problem with USB microphones since at least 2006. There are many threads about this problem that haven't been answered with a solution.

I did find a solution for Windows: by using the Equalizer APO and Peace

However I haven't been able to find a solution for my Macbook pro.

When I go into the Audio MIDI Setup app, and attempt to boost the level of my USB microphone from there, the level controls are greyed out and I can make no changes from within that app.

Has anyone found a solution for this problem yet?

Posted on Mar 30, 2018 3:45 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 5, 2018 12:32 PM in response to crockettcrew

crockettcrew wrote:

You'll need to add the AUPeakLimiter plug-in.

Be careful. I would strongly advise against using the Limiter Plugin for this problem. A Limiter has a total different purpose and does other "things" to your audio than just raising the gain.

There is a simple Audio FX Plugin in GarageBand to offset the gain of a Track. It is called Gain and is in the Utility section of the Plugin Menu. It has just one control that lets you adjust the level between -96dB...+24dB. That's it.

User uploaded file

BTW, you should look into why your USB mic produces just a low level. Rasing the level is just a band-aid and you might raise noise and other unwanted signals by just cranking up the level.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

How to boost USB microphone input level

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.