Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes 12.7.4 doesn't launch anymore after upgrade

Hi,

Today, iTunes was upgraded to 12.7.4 and High Sierra to 10.13.4.

After the upgrade, I tried to launch iTunes, but it didn't launch anymore. The famous spinning wheel start and never ends.

Working on an 27" iMac, 2017.

My library is on a Synology station. And at the station I see that the CPU is speeding up to 100% for a certain amount of time.

Also finder stops responding after launching iTunes. Restarting the finder doesn't work, it doesn't respond after the reboot. Also rebooting the system via the Apple-menu doesn't work. A "shutdown -r now" via the Terminal works.

I have tried:

1. To delete all cache. Didn't solve the problem

2. Reinstalling iTunes 12.7.4 (it was installed before the High Sierra upgrade). That also didn't solve the problem

I launched iTunes in the Cloud on my Macbook and that didn't had an issue. After trying to connect to my music library on the Synology station, the Macbook also had the same issues as my iMac.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Mar 30, 2018 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2018 3:59 AM

So I continued my investigation and I think I got it solved 🙂

When the system is booted, I usually connect to the Synology station via Finder. By default Finder connects to the Volumes on the NAS via "AFP"-protocol. I didn't know that until now

So here is what I did:

1. I unmounted the shared volume from my NAS where the music library is stored

2. I mounted the shared volume from my NAS where the music library is stored using "SMB" which is preferred by the way

I started iTunes using the Library on the NAS and the problem was gone.

So appearantly iTunes is not the issue, it is the upgrade of High Sierra which is causing the issue.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2018 3:59 AM in response to Jan@Mac

So I continued my investigation and I think I got it solved 🙂

When the system is booted, I usually connect to the Synology station via Finder. By default Finder connects to the Volumes on the NAS via "AFP"-protocol. I didn't know that until now

So here is what I did:

1. I unmounted the shared volume from my NAS where the music library is stored

2. I mounted the shared volume from my NAS where the music library is stored using "SMB" which is preferred by the way

I started iTunes using the Library on the NAS and the problem was gone.

So appearantly iTunes is not the issue, it is the upgrade of High Sierra which is causing the issue.

Mar 31, 2018 1:03 AM in response to turingtest2

So, I tried the following:

1. Used my local "empty" library. When I opened it, I saw some parts of my iCloud music library not all of it. Within one minute, iTunes froze and I had to kill iTunes. To be safe I rebooted the system

2. I copied my files from the Synology station to the local hard drive. I saw my entire library on the local copy, but not all of the illustrations which were normally there

3. I copied back the local files to my Synology station to see if that would make a difference. And it did, I got the following error message (translation from Dutch) "The File " can't be read, because it is not a valid library file"

4. I opened my local copy again (which is now the same as the copy on the Synology station) and it opened. Same result as in step 2.

So to me it seems there is an issue with the protocol which is used to connect a NAS to the iMac.

PS. My physical music files still reside on the Synology station and they play without problem

Apr 4, 2018 12:36 AM in response to Trumasterz

I use a Buffalo LS220D and all I did was go into the settings and disable AFP, enable SMB2 and restart the NAS. Depending on how you normally mount your NAS on your Mac, all you need to do is eject the disc and remount using SMB, i.e smb://xx.x.x.xx/ where the x's represent the IP address of your NAS on your network.I auto-mount my NAS on boot by creating a login item in my user profile that mounts the NAS for me.

How to Automatically Connect to Network Drives in Mac OS X

Apr 9, 2018 2:47 AM in response to MDS_PH

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with Synology NAS devices specifically, so I would suggest visiting their website for manuals and support. However, the process of un-mounting and mounting drives is fairly standard within macOS.

If your drive is mounted, simply right click/two finger tap on the drive icon, either on your desktop or within a finder window and select "Eject...". Within Finder, you will also see an eject icon next to the drive.drivbe

To mount a NAS drive, click on Go within Finder and select "Connect to Server..." (or CMD+K) and type in the following...

smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.x

...where xxx.xxx.xxx.x is the IP address of your NAS drive, i.e. smb://10.1.1.1

This will mount the drive and make it available within macOS. If you want to automatically mount the NAS every time you log in to your Mac, set it up as a Login Item with User Settings. The link in my previous post shows you how to do that.

Hope that helps?

Itunes 12.7.4 doesn't launch anymore after upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.