Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS HS 10.13.4 breaks Boot Camp drivers/keyboard

The most recent update has completely nuked my keyboard for boot camp. It pairs just fine and connects with macOS, but launching Windows is another story. All of my other peripherals work just fine, except for my keyboard. An overlay dialog says "Connected", but hangs, and nothing works. I'll spam keys over and over, and the thing doesn't connect.

null-OTHER, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4), Magic Keyboard

Posted on Mar 30, 2018 3:38 PM

Similar questions

29 replies

Apr 1, 2018 1:38 AM in response to ben.radcliffe

Hi.

Same issue here. I’ve been onto Apple support for ages and not got a solution. I suspect it’s actually the Windows 1709 & or one of the security updates that’s causing the problem, as it worked before running Windows update.

It’s total PITA.

I’m doing a total fresh install of MacOS then of Windows, but I won’t update to 1709. Hopefully that will sort the problem.

Has anyone else had any other success?

As an aside, I found that after trying to use Windows, then booting back into MacOS, my mouse didn’t work & it too a good while for MacOS to find it again. It’s bizarre.

Apr 1, 2018 6:25 AM in response to ben.radcliffe

The same with Magic Mouse 2. To check that it's not windows update problem, I tried to restore whole bootcamp partition from backup copy - no luck. So it's definitely 10.13.4 update problem.

The only way I've found:

1. When in Mac OS - remove mouse from BT panel.

2. Reboot to Windows

3. Turn off mouse and BT, then turn on.

4. Open BT settings, and connect mouse

And when you return to Mac OS, you again need to turn off/on both, and then add mouse from BT panel.

Very annoying way.

Apr 1, 2018 4:56 PM in response to JB737

FWIW i’d done a fresh MacOS install followed by Windows 10 bootcamp yesterday & all was good, until I rebooted after performing the Windows update. It was at that point it stopped working so I reckon the issue is definitely that 1709 update and/or the 10.13.4 High Sierra update. Something has got messed up somewhere, as up until 2 days ago my 2017 27” 3.8ghz iMac worked fine in both operating systems.

I REALLY don’t want to have to start plugging the keyboard and a USB mouse in every time I want to use Windows. At £2200+ for a desktop computer I should have to!

Apr 2, 2018 12:07 AM in response to ben.radcliffe

yep, 10.13.4 update broke magic keyboard 2 pairing in boot camp for me too. I was able to pair keyboard after removing pairing in macOS, but after restart it did not work anymore. Tried basically everything I could find to fix this, but no success. As it is now, using magic keyboard2 in macOS and bootcamp on Bluetooth is not happening. Quite disappointed with this mess almost instantly after investing 2700e on new iMac.

Apr 2, 2018 1:19 AM in response to Thompson27

It would appear (and this is purely my own opinion) that there was a change in a Windows update that didn’t cause an issue until High Sierra 10.13.4 was released. Clearly something has then changed there that has bricked the bluetooth connection in Bootcamp.

Seemingly some people have had success removing specific Windows security updates and that’s exactly what I’m planning to do tomorrow when I can get at my machine.

You’re absolutely right though, the point of Apple is that their stuff ‘just works’ and they charge a premium as a result. Breaking fundamental parts of the OS like this, and then acting clueless about it (my support experience so far) is pretty poor.

Apr 2, 2018 4:45 AM in response to JB737

Yes, Windows constantly changes. And what we have? Bootcamp drivers has timestamp 1 Oct 2015, they are more than 2 years old. It's time of Windows 10 version 1507, with support end date May 9, 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history

One more experiment - I have old bootcamp backup, with Windows 10 1607 (support end date April 10, 2018) - restored, and... mouse works, automatically.

But don't think it's a good idea to use outdated Windows version. We may expect that Apple will support us too.

We got this failure due to lack of Apple support for Bootcamp.

I take 2 mouses, one paired in Mac OS, another in Windows. Both works, so the only problem is links sync, and this problem can be solved only by Apple.

Apr 2, 2018 10:33 PM in response to Loner T

Bootcamp backup from March, 13, 2018 - 1709 without cumulative update KB4089848.

Restored, tested - mouse doesn't work.

So we again returns to 10.13.4 update as source of headache.

As for now I see that the simplest way is to buy 2-nd mouse and use one for Mac OS and one for Windows.

+ $79 to cost of my MacBook Pro.

Apr 3, 2018 1:30 AM in response to Volccc

It seems that pairing problems are related especially with apples magic devices (can't confirm though). I'm using logitech MX master 2 mouse, and I don't have any problem using bootcamp and macos even after new update. This is of course because I can assign different bluetooth channels for different operating systems, so they are not mixed. If you are in market for new mouse I can give recommendation for this.

However, I'm stuck with magic keyboard 2, which does not work as described above. I don't really want to start removing windows 10 security updates, so I'm just using it with lightning cable now. I really hope Apple gets their act together with bootcamp drivers.

Apr 3, 2018 1:35 AM in response to Thompson27

It is of course related only to Apple peripherals. In my similar thread I explained that if you uninstall Apple mouse and keyboard drivers as well as their Bluetooth radio driver, everything works, but you're not getting scroll and functional key, obviously.

Buying another mouse is not an option since for most people on iMacs keyboard isn't working as well.

macOS HS 10.13.4 breaks Boot Camp drivers/keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.