Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone proximity sensor problems

Proximity sensor should ideally work when we answer phones.. when we pick up the phone and talk, the screen would sleep.

However, after updating to ios 11.3, irrespecive of whether i get a phone or not, proximity sensor is ON always. When i am using an app, if i just hover my hand over proximity sensor, the screen blacks out. Anyone facing this issue???

[Re-Titled by Host]

Posted on Apr 2, 2018 12:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2018 12:40 AM

Try a forced restart of your device (depending on your iPhone's model):

• On an iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.
  • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Side and Volume Down buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
  • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

If the issue still persists, AND if you have nothing (case, screen protector, etc.) that can obstruct your proximity sensor, have your device checked at your most convenient Apple Store or Authorized Service Provider:

Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

Regards

Giulio

81 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2018 12:40 AM in response to ravitejaparinam

Try a forced restart of your device (depending on your iPhone's model):

• On an iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.
  • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Side and Volume Down buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
  • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

If the issue still persists, AND if you have nothing (case, screen protector, etc.) that can obstruct your proximity sensor, have your device checked at your most convenient Apple Store or Authorized Service Provider:

Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

Regards

Giulio

Jul 25, 2018 1:00 AM in response to Loobzer

You're quite welcome, Loobzer. Glad it helped.

Well, this procedure is known as a "basic troubleshooting step", and it is very old (I learned about that when I bought my first iPhone 3g (if I remember well on 2008).

Apple still suggests this operation in many support guides, i.e. in 1st chapter of this article (from which I copied the instructions): If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen - Apple Support

Have a nice day.

Giulio

Jun 20, 2018 8:32 PM in response to ravitejaparinam

My iPhone X (iOS11.4)has the exact same issue, and restarting the device addresses the issue temporarily. But it occurs again after a while. Apple's remote inspection didn't find any hardware issues, so guess this is caused by software.

The problem is that what app/setting causes this. If iOS does, someday Apple may find and resolve, but if 3rd party software, not sure if their developer will find its root cause on their product.

Jun 22, 2018 6:57 AM in response to dlion

Im with you. Ive done it all to correct this and it only lasts a couple of phone calls. It’s definitely a software issue. Not sure about the app thing as mine showed up after iOS 11 update and I haven’t added apps for a long time. Hoping it gets tracked down, I’m tired of getting speaker phone in my ear. I think it’s still ringing from the last situation...

Jun 22, 2018 8:51 AM in response to justinfromMissouri

Justin,

I understand your frustration, but please don't think that we (I and Deggie) are here to make fun of you or other posters.

I use an iP7, my wife uses an iP6 (both running iOS 11.4) and our proximity sensors are acting as usual, only during phone calls.

I have a lot of friends that are using those iPhone models with iOS 11 or later, and they have no issues.

If you made a "restore to factory settings" on your iphone, and tested it without restoring data from your previously made backup, and that sensor's activity is wrong, there could be a hardware failure.

Regards

Giulio

iPhone proximity sensor problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.