Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac crashes when I plug in display 10.13.3

I have a non retina 13 MBP. (min 2012) and I've not plugged it into my ultrawide screen (Asus PB298Q) for some time but every time I have this week it has resulted in a catastrophic crash. I'm using a thunderbolt to displayport cable. My screen dims when I plug it in and it goes black with only the menu bar visible.

I hear hard drive activity but the machine does not respond at all not even once I unplug the display so I have to hold the power button down for several seconds.

On reboot I've have multiple issues with the hard drive where it's not recognised so I have to boot into recovery mode. Sometimes rebooting from recovery solves the issue. In some cases I get the prohibited icon on boot instead of the recovery.

Whatever hard drive activity is happening when it crashes seems to be having an effect.

I imagine this relates to a recent software update. I'm running 10.13.3

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Apr 5, 2018 1:56 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 9, 2018 2:02 AM in response to John Galt

The update was not available on my machine when I posted this but I get the same behaviour in 10.13.4.

On contacting Apple support they've pointed me to a local Apple Solutions provider who checked my machine and screen and where unable to get to the bottom of it.

Unfortunately I left my mini-display port to display port cable behind but the screen worked fine on a new MPB using a USB-C dongle and a 4K HDMI cable.

They suggested my machine was too old but I've had this monitor working for 2 years!

Mac crashes when I plug in display 10.13.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.