Question:

Question: iPhone speaker greyed out

User uploaded file

[Re-Titled by Host]

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Apr 5, 2018 11:44 PM in response to chris_g1 In response to chris_g1

Hi Chris

Another thing I have picked up is that there is no sound from the speaker when I make any call, and the person can't here me on the other side as well. I can make calls thru my vehicle's stereo via Bluetooth but the speaker is still greyed out even though both parties can here each other as normal.

Also does not pick up a headset when connected.

Itunes music and videos received thru whatsapp works fine thru speaker.

Regards,

Leon

Apr 5, 2018 8:21 PM in response to LDR13 In response to LDR13

Hello LDR13,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I see that you have not received an answer to your question. If you are able to provide additional information, then perhaps someone will be able to assist you. Some questions that might be helpful to answer are:

1. Is the audio option grayed out when calling different contacts?
2. Does this occur only when the iPhone is paired to a Bluetooth device, or when not paired to a Bluetooth device as well?
3. Could you tell us of any troubleshooting steps you may have tried?

Take care!

Apr 14, 2018 6:46 AM in response to LDR13 In response to LDR13

Hi there,

My iphone 7plus has the same problem after updating to 11.3 last week.

I connected my phone to Bluetooth earphone once, and after that my phone cannot make any calls. The speaker option is grey and cannot hear any sound.

Music and videos are fine through the speaker.

Voice memo not working.(red record button grey out)

I can only make calls through Bluetooth earphone connected now.

Apr 10, 2018 4:18 AM in response to Joseph_S. In response to Joseph_S.

I can make and receive calls with a bluetooth device/headset but can the normal earphone input does not work but the phone charges thru the same port.

I took it to my local istore and they did a factory settings reset and a diagnostic scan and can't find/fix the problem.

Apr 11, 2018 3:59 PM in response to chris_g1 In response to chris_g1

I am having this same issue. At one point, I was able to get a call through and was able to have a conversation with somebody for about a miniute before it went silent again. Otherwise, there is complete silence on both ends during incoming and outgoing calls. And the iPhone speaker is greyed out. I just installed the new update two days ago. If that’s the issue, I hope Apple can fix it soon!

Apr 26, 2018 3:32 AM in response to LDR13 In response to LDR13

I was finally able to get a genius bar appointment yesterday after hours of sitting on the phone with apple support. When I got there, apple had me update my phone to 11.3.1 but it still didn't fix the issue. They said since my phone was a couple months past the 2 year warranty there was nothing they could do and I would have to pay $320 to replace my phone. They said that the 11.3 update "triggered something in my phone that was previously there" which caused all of these issues to come up at once????? I am extremely unhappy with how Apple handled this as it is obviously a software issue on their end. After being an loyal apple user for 8+ years I can now say that I will be getting my phones and laptops from a different provider from now on 🙂

Apr 26, 2018 9:00 AM in response to LDR13 In response to LDR13

[Problem Solved]

Dear all!

If you are having the same problem as disscussed above, please find a professional iPhone repair store and ask them to check the audio IC, it’s a tiny little chip on the mother board.

I got my iPhone 7 Plus audio IC replaced today for ¥400 (around US$60), and the problem is solved! All phone functions back to normal, phone calls normal, voice memo working, etc.

Tips: If your phone is still under warranty, please search help from Apple Store. If not, get the audio IC checked, and most likely it will work for you as well.

Again, this is not a software problem, it’s the hardware issue, another new update won’t fix it!

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Apr 5, 2018 8:21 PM in response to LDR13 In response to LDR13

Hello LDR13,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I see that you have not received an answer to your question. If you are able to provide additional information, then perhaps someone will be able to assist you. Some questions that might be helpful to answer are:

1. Is the audio option grayed out when calling different contacts?
2. Does this occur only when the iPhone is paired to a Bluetooth device, or when not paired to a Bluetooth device as well?
3. Could you tell us of any troubleshooting steps you may have tried?

Take care!

Apr 5, 2018 8:21 PM

Reply Helpful (71)

Apr 5, 2018 11:44 PM in response to chris_g1 In response to chris_g1

Hi Chris

Another thing I have picked up is that there is no sound from the speaker when I make any call, and the person can't here me on the other side as well. I can make calls thru my vehicle's stereo via Bluetooth but the speaker is still greyed out even though both parties can here each other as normal.

Also does not pick up a headset when connected.

Itunes music and videos received thru whatsapp works fine thru speaker.

Regards,

Leon

Apr 5, 2018 11:44 PM

Reply Helpful (108)

Apr 9, 2018 9:59 AM in response to LDR13 In response to LDR13

Hello LDR13 ,

Thank you for following up with the additional information. If the audio issues occur only when connected to Bluetooth devices the next steps would be to rule out some possible causes by following the steps here:

If you can't connect a Bluetooth accessory to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Specifically, try the steps in this section:

1. If you previously connected your Bluetooth accessory to your iOS device, unpair the accessory, put it back in discovery mode, then try to pair and connect it again.
  2. If you can pair your accessory with some devices but not your iOS device, unpair the accessory from your other devices. Then try to pair with your iOS device again.
  3. Check with the accessory manufacturer to make sure that your accessory supports your iOS device.
  4. If you still have any of these issues, contact Apple Support:
    • You can’t turn on Bluetooth or the setting is grayed out.
    • You can’t connect any Bluetooth accessories with your device.
    • The accessory manufacturer confirmed that your accessory is working correctly.

If you're still experiencing the issue after, contact Apple via the link in step 4.

Cheers!

Apr 9, 2018 9:59 AM

Reply Helpful

Apr 10, 2018 4:18 AM in response to Joseph_S. In response to Joseph_S.

I can make and receive calls with a bluetooth device/headset but can the normal earphone input does not work but the phone charges thru the same port.

I took it to my local istore and they did a factory settings reset and a diagnostic scan and can't find/fix the problem.

Apr 10, 2018 4:18 AM

Reply Helpful (36)

Apr 10, 2018 4:29 AM in response to LDR13 In response to LDR13

I have the exact issue and it has happened to my first phone and a replacement device. Very frustrating as i use voice memos quite often and they also dont work now. Hopefully 11.3.1 comes out quickly with a fix!

Apr 10, 2018 4:29 AM

Reply Helpful (11)

Apr 11, 2018 3:59 PM in response to chris_g1 In response to chris_g1

I am having this same issue. At one point, I was able to get a call through and was able to have a conversation with somebody for about a miniute before it went silent again. Otherwise, there is complete silence on both ends during incoming and outgoing calls. And the iPhone speaker is greyed out. I just installed the new update two days ago. If that’s the issue, I hope Apple can fix it soon!

Apr 11, 2018 3:59 PM

Reply Helpful (16)

Apr 14, 2018 6:46 AM in response to LDR13 In response to LDR13

Hi there,

My iphone 7plus has the same problem after updating to 11.3 last week.

I connected my phone to Bluetooth earphone once, and after that my phone cannot make any calls. The speaker option is grey and cannot hear any sound.

Music and videos are fine through the speaker.

Voice memo not working.(red record button grey out)

I can only make calls through Bluetooth earphone connected now.

Apr 14, 2018 6:46 AM

Reply Helpful (67)

Apr 22, 2018 3:16 PM in response to LDR13 In response to LDR13

It's not just that, so in addition, your microphone and proximity sensor won't work too, it's this not a hardware problem but software and it's got everything to do with that so call new update release.

Apr 22, 2018 3:16 PM

Reply Helpful (23)
User profile for user: LDR13

Question: iPhone speaker greyed out