Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone speaker greyed out

User uploaded file

[Re-Titled by Host]

Posted on Apr 5, 2018 8:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2018 11:44 PM

Hi Chris

Another thing I have picked up is that there is no sound from the speaker when I make any call, and the person can't here me on the other side as well. I can make calls thru my vehicle's stereo via Bluetooth but the speaker is still greyed out even though both parties can here each other as normal.

Also does not pick up a headset when connected.

Itunes music and videos received thru whatsapp works fine thru speaker.

Regards,

Leon

323 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2018 11:44 PM in response to chris_g1

Hi Chris

Another thing I have picked up is that there is no sound from the speaker when I make any call, and the person can't here me on the other side as well. I can make calls thru my vehicle's stereo via Bluetooth but the speaker is still greyed out even though both parties can here each other as normal.

Also does not pick up a headset when connected.

Itunes music and videos received thru whatsapp works fine thru speaker.

Regards,

Leon

Apr 11, 2018 3:59 PM in response to chris_g1

I am having this same issue. At one point, I was able to get a call through and was able to have a conversation with somebody for about a miniute before it went silent again. Otherwise, there is complete silence on both ends during incoming and outgoing calls. And the iPhone speaker is greyed out. I just installed the new update two days ago. If that’s the issue, I hope Apple can fix it soon!

Apr 14, 2018 6:46 AM in response to LDR13

Hi there,

My iphone 7plus has the same problem after updating to 11.3 last week.

I connected my phone to Bluetooth earphone once, and after that my phone cannot make any calls. The speaker option is grey and cannot hear any sound.

Music and videos are fine through the speaker.

Voice memo not working.(red record button grey out)

I can only make calls through Bluetooth earphone connected now.

Apr 26, 2018 3:32 AM in response to LDR13

I was finally able to get a genius bar appointment yesterday after hours of sitting on the phone with apple support. When I got there, apple had me update my phone to 11.3.1 but it still didn't fix the issue. They said since my phone was a couple months past the 2 year warranty there was nothing they could do and I would have to pay $320 to replace my phone. They said that the 11.3 update "triggered something in my phone that was previously there" which caused all of these issues to come up at once????? I am extremely unhappy with how Apple handled this as it is obviously a software issue on their end. After being an loyal apple user for 8+ years I can now say that I will be getting my phones and laptops from a different provider from now on 🙂

Apr 26, 2018 9:00 AM in response to LDR13

[Problem Solved]

Dear all!

If you are having the same problem as disscussed above, please find a professional iPhone repair store and ask them to check the audio IC, it’s a tiny little chip on the mother board.

I got my iPhone 7 Plus audio IC replaced today for ¥400 (around US$60), and the problem is solved! All phone functions back to normal, phone calls normal, voice memo working, etc.

Tips: If your phone is still under warranty, please search help from Apple Store. If not, get the audio IC checked, and most likely it will work for you as well.

Again, this is not a software problem, it’s the hardware issue, another new update won’t fix it!

Apr 9, 2018 9:59 AM in response to LDR13

Hello LDR13 ,

Thank you for following up with the additional information. If the audio issues occur only when connected to Bluetooth devices the next steps would be to rule out some possible causes by following the steps here:

If you can't connect a Bluetooth accessory to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Specifically, try the steps in this section:

1. If you previously connected your Bluetooth accessory to your iOS device, unpair the accessory, put it back in discovery mode, then try to pair and connect it again.
  2. If you can pair your accessory with some devices but not your iOS device, unpair the accessory from your other devices. Then try to pair with your iOS device again.
  3. Check with the accessory manufacturer to make sure that your accessory supports your iOS device.
  4. If you still have any of these issues, contact Apple Support:
    • You can’t turn on Bluetooth or the setting is grayed out.
    • You can’t connect any Bluetooth accessories with your device.
    • The accessory manufacturer confirmed that your accessory is working correctly.

If you're still experiencing the issue after, contact Apple via the link in step 4.

Cheers!

Apr 5, 2018 8:21 PM in response to LDR13

Hello LDR13,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I see that you have not received an answer to your question. If you are able to provide additional information, then perhaps someone will be able to assist you. Some questions that might be helpful to answer are:

1. Is the audio option grayed out when calling different contacts?
2. Does this occur only when the iPhone is paired to a Bluetooth device, or when not paired to a Bluetooth device as well?
3. Could you tell us of any troubleshooting steps you may have tried?

Take care!

Jul 25, 2018 6:51 PM in response to WritingRaw

Even I am facing the same issue after updating iOS 11.3.1 since yesterday.

It seems there is a bug in the software update that is causing this problem.

I am not able to hear audio from earpiece or speaker while making calls. Even the microphone is not working. However when I connect my AirPods I am able to listen to calls.

I am going to log a complaint with Apple Support and see how it goes. My iPhone 7 is just 18 months old but I have not taken extended warranty. Wonder how to Apple will fix it.

I have tried reset my phone but doesn’t work.User uploaded file

Sep 24, 2018 2:44 PM in response to janefromcottenham

According to the reps at the genius bar I spoke with at the store in Austin, TX - they see 2 to 3 affected customers per day with this issue. Apparently the affected percentage isn't high enough of an impact for them to issue a "program" for replacements but they said I can check this page to see if it becomes a program. Exchange + Repair Extension Programs - Apple Support

Jan 15, 2020 2:22 AM in response to AleADL

I'm not sure if my problem is due to the update of ios 13.3 because I have automatic phone updates. However, in fact, the release date corresponds to the beginning of the problems. This could be the cause. Unfortunately apple does not recognize this as its problem caused by the update. What you can do is write on all the support sites and consumer associations. Both in English and in your native language.

Ask friends who have had the same problem to make themselves heard on the forums, but above all write on the apple feedback site https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

and specify the problem. The more we make ourselves heard, the more apple will be forced to remedy.

Definitely a serious problem that apple cannot underestimate. Write to the support and ask to write and complain to those who are in the same condition.

Jan 22, 2020 5:47 AM in response to LDR13

I recently experienced this issue as well. It started out that I couldn't hear my callers, and my callers couldn't hear me and then I lost all functionality to make/accept calls and my callers were expressing that my phone was going straight to voicemail.

I followed the steps in this article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204027

I turned airplane mode on/off and that solved the issue of not being able to make/accept calls, but I was still unable to hear my callers and vice versa. I tried most of the steps outlined in this article, but the step that worked for me was resetting my network settings.

I hope this helps!

iPhone speaker greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.