Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All my photos have portrait mode disabled

Hello everyone, I'm Christophe from France.

I have an iCloud Photos Library with 90.000 pictures, all organized, tagged, synced with 3 Macs on macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and my iPhone on iOS 11.3.

Many days ago, I want to share the latest family event, and realized that all my pictures that were made in "Portrait" mode have the "Portrait" mode disabled, and the blur effect disappeared...

When I edit my photos on Mac or iPhone with "Photos" app, I see the "Portrait" button, but it is disabled by default and I have to reedit every picture to reapply the blur effect. This is very annoying because I have a very large number of pictures.

How can I reactivate the "Portrait" mode to all my library without reediting one by one every picture ?

Thanks in advance (and sorry for my bad English),

Christophe.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 11, 2018 2:44 AM

12 replies

Apr 11, 2018 3:26 AM in response to léonie

The Optimize function is only activated on my MacBook Air and my iPhone but not on the iMac at my desktop, where I have enough storage and Time Machine backups.

And the "Portrait" effect disappeared on all machines, on my iPhone, and on the online iCloud version of "Photos".

The "Portrait" category in the sidebar shows me only the last 10 photos from yesterday :-/

May 3, 2018 9:46 AM in response to mbventuri

Apple is not here and the answer given explains what is currently known about this - posting MeToo posts or addressing Apple is a worthless excise and is wasting your time and ours

There are now more users reporting the same problem. It may be a bug or caused by an updated algorithm for the processing of the Portrait mode photos. I noticed, that Portrait Mode photos are now looking slightly differently.

LN

May 3, 2018 10:47 AM in response to LarryHN

I would love to see more of these posts, so we can find a common pattern to be able to understand what is causing this.

I suspect, the syncing with iCloud photo Library and the "optimize Storage" option are disabling the Portrait mode, when the photos get optimized or the updated algorithm does it, but we do not have much to go on. Unfortunately, the posts here do not give much detail about the iCloud settings or anything else that would help to find the common pattern.

Most posts I have seen about this problem are referring to Photos iOS.

May 3, 2018 1:20 PM in response to mbventuri

Thank you for providing more details.

My iCloud is full so my phone hasn't backed up any photos in a long time...

That might be the problem in your case. If iCloud is running out of storage, Phots may not be able to sync the edits to iCloud. Try to get iCloud back to normal operating conditions - store less data i iCloud or upgrade the storage plan.

All my photos have portrait mode disabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.