Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use mistake WITHOUT midi?

Hi All,

Thanks to the answer to my previous question.

Now a follow-up: Can I use MainStage WITHOUT a midi?

I have my audio interface connected via firewire, have the input/output set to the core audio device, but when

I go to layout and try to assign the fader in my concert, it just has midi port as an option.

Do I use the midi port channel 1 (for example)?

Can I run an external mic through MainStage without a midi connection?

All the google results and searches here seem to tell how to hook up your midi device.

Fine, but I don't have one, and I don't want one for this application.

I just want to process some vocals live.

On a side note, can I run a midi AND an external mic at the same time?

Thanks.

--Dana

Posted on Apr 11, 2018 4:48 PM

9 replies

Apr 17, 2018 7:58 AM in response to Cuauhtemoc

SOLVED.

Turns out the problem was my audio interface. I was trying to use my Mbox Pro2, because I had one.

After doing a little more research, I found that Avid no longer supports the Mbox, and it is NOT compatible with El Capitan.

Mainstage was not seeing the interface at all.

I got a small Behringer box and hooked it up and voila! Worked first time.

I was able to use Mainstage for worship service on Sunday, just to control the two vocal channels, and it is everything I was hoping it would be. Can't wait to fine tune it, and then start exploring some more of Mainstage's abilities.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

--Dana

Apr 12, 2018 5:00 AM in response to Cuauhtemoc

Thanks.

I don't need to control externally right now. I'm running sound for the worship band at church and I control all the sound for now.

My goal right now is to run vocals through MainStage for better control. This will all be done at the sound station and not remotely. Later I will incorporate loops and patches, and then graduate to the synth player doing some remote triggering.

But for now, I simply want to start with vocals.

So, to my originals question: How do I get MainStage to assign my input? It only gives midi ports as an option.

Do you mean that I HAVE to have some sort of midi controller in order to use MainStage?

If so, fine. But if it's not necessary then I won't buy it. Yet...

Thanks.

--Dana

Apr 12, 2018 5:45 AM in response to Cuauhtemoc

Thanks.

This is exactly what I did. Just haven't gotten the sound to register in the fader yet.

I'll keep working on it. Must have missed something.

Also haven't figured out how to delete a channel strip, but I'm sure I'll stumble across it.

I've worked quite a bit with ProTools. Can't imagine this is radically different.

Thank you for your time.

--Dana

Can I use mistake WITHOUT midi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.