Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sync ipad to macbook - can't see apps

i used to be able to see my Ipad air2 's screen layout on my laptop when i would sync the two...now i can't find the apps anymore - where did they go? i could delete them, uninstall them, etc from the laptop. what am i missing???

iPad Air 2 WiFi, Cellular, iOS 11.1

Posted on Apr 12, 2018 9:01 AM

7 replies

Apr 12, 2018 6:13 PM in response to Frances Ellen Johnson

That is because, as I previously stated, apps are no longer managed through iTunes.

See the information in Changes in the new iTunes - Apple Support

including the excerpt below:

The new iTunes focuses on music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and audiobooks. Apps for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch are now exclusively available in the new App Store for iOS.

Apr 12, 2018 6:19 PM in response to Frances Ellen Johnson

FoxFifth answered your question perfectly.

iTunes version 12.7 and higher NO LONGER supports saving and storing of apps from your various iDevices.

So, you will,NOW, never see ANY of the apps from your iDevices any longer when you sync your iDevices to iTunes!

It’s that simple.

App will no longer be shown or saved in iTunes any longer!

Apple coded this feature out of iTunes.

No one knows why Apple chose to do this, but data from apps is still saved in iTunes, but NOT the actual apps themselves.

Apr 16, 2018 6:18 PM in response to MichelPM

thanks to you all for trying to help me. i'm resigned to the situation i guess - the apps i'm looking for don't show up in the app store. i can only see them on my ipad now. before, i'd uninstall various ones and reinstall some depending on my travel situation. no longer possible with their 'improvement'.

i wish they'd fix the existing bug where you can't sync photos, continually getting the message that my photo library 'is not available'. that's been going on for more than a year and still hasn't been fixed. instead, they 'improve' something that didn't need improvement. very frustrating. (& yes, i've submitted my feedback over and over again)

thanks for listening

sync ipad to macbook - can't see apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.