Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Library stuck at 5% update

Updated my iMac to 10.13.4 so I can upload photos and videos from my iPhone X in new HEIF format.

Plugged my phone in after system update and nothing happened ; ie Photos did not open. So I opened it and realized it needs to update library first. Have a large Photo Library (144 G)so expect it to take awhile for Photos Version 3.0 to update library but it gets stuck at 5% complete and there is nothing to do but force quit. How can I fix this? Thank you.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4), just updated from 10.11.6

Posted on Apr 12, 2018 8:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2018 4:21 AM

but it gets stuck at 5% complete

The progress bar does not update regularly. It can show the same value for hours without any visible progress.

Did you make a current backup before the library upgrade started? Without a current backup, I would not risk force quitting Photos during the upgrade.

If you force quit the upgrade after waiting for several days, shut down the Mac and restart in Safe Mode (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262), before you try the upgrade again.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2018 4:21 AM in response to pkBrooklyn

but it gets stuck at 5% complete

The progress bar does not update regularly. It can show the same value for hours without any visible progress.

Did you make a current backup before the library upgrade started? Without a current backup, I would not risk force quitting Photos during the upgrade.

If you force quit the upgrade after waiting for several days, shut down the Mac and restart in Safe Mode (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262), before you try the upgrade again.

Apr 26, 2018 8:40 AM in response to pkBrooklyn

Hi @pkBrooklyn,

I have learned that the MacOS Photos repair takes a long time to repair. Searching for solutions to this issue results in very few options. As in, there is currently only one real option.

In order for it to repair properly, you need patience and the correct keyboard shortcut when opening the library.

HOLD Down the [option] + [command] keys at the same time while double-clicking on the photo library file icon in the file folder it is stored in (not the application icon). You will then be prompted to repair the library and possibly asked to authenticate with your Mac's password.

*Expect a few hours for libraries of more than 100GB in size. If you have 900GB to 2TB libraries, the process can take 12-hours for a real repair. As @LarryHN said, do not force close the repair process as it can damage your photos library.

[important #1] And even when the photos reappear, it is still processing the repair, updating your Photostreams, and updating iCloud so do not shut down Photos for another few hours after. Be patient. Trust me on this one.

[important #2] After it is fully repaired, and has been running for a few hours, back up your library before doing anything with it. Secondly, set up an automatic back-up of your library via Time Machine or preferably something like "Get Back-up Pro 3" (which I use extensively now and has saved my butt a few times).

Good luck!

Apr 26, 2018 1:04 PM in response to apress

apress wrote:

Restart did not work

Do not just restart. Shut down the computer, then start it new. It will clear more caches, if you shut down the computer, and even better, when you start up in safe mode.

Have you checked, if there is any reason, why Photos cannot upgrade the library?

There is no point in trying to repair the library, if it cannot work, because you do are running out of storage or because the library is on a drive with on unsupported file system.

Photos Library stuck at 5% update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.