Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X/11.3 issues with Subaru

Purchased my iPhone X using iOS 11.3 less than 48 hours ago. Both times I have driven my 2017 Impreza, my phone stops being able to access cellular data, despite the fact, I have not changed any settings, and my iPhone shows I am connected to cellular. Anyone else having this problem?

iPhone X, iOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 13, 2018 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2018 9:35 AM

Hello, ewokIN!

Thank you for getting back to us with that additional information about using CarPlay with your iPhone X and your Subaru Impreza. I know how important it is to have the features on your phone and vehicle working properly, and I'm happy to help.

I see that you mentioned after resetting your phone, you are now unable to use your iPhone X to play music or make calls in your car. Are you connecting your iPhone with a Lightning to USB Cable when you try? From what I've read in both the Apple & Subaru resources, it appears that connecting via Bluetooth is not necessary when using CarPlay in your Subaru Impreza. See the following for more information about setting it up:

Set up CarPlay

1. Make sure that your car or stereo supports Carplay.
  2. Plug your iPhone into the CarPlay USB port. The USB port might be labeled with a CarPlay icon or a smartphone icon. If the CarPlay Home screen doesn’t appear, select the CarPlay logo on your car’s display.
    • If your car supports CarPlay over a wired solution, plug your iPhone into the USB port of your car. The USB port might be labeled with a CarPlay icon or a smartphone icon.
    • If your car supports wireless CarPlay, press and hold the Voice Control button on your steering wheel to set up CarPlay. Or make sure that your car is in wireless or Bluetooth pairing mode. Then on your iPhone, go to Settings > General > CarPlay > Available Cars and select your car. See your car's manual for more information.
  3. Make sure that your car is running.
  4. Ask Siri for what you need. You can do this in a few ways:
    • If your car has one, press and hold the Voice Control button on your steering wheel. Then ask what you need.
    • If you have a touch screen, touch and hold the Home button in CarPlay until Siri appears on your stereo display. Then ask what you need.
Set up CarPlay with your iPhone

Please note: The Subaru Impreza does not appear to support "wireless CarPlay" as mentioned in the above resource, so a Lightning to USB Cable is necessary in order to use CarPlay in your vehicle. If you continue to have issues after following these steps, here are some more things you can try (from that same article):

Get help

If CarPlay doesn't work like you expect, here’s what you can check. After each step, try using CarPlay again.

1. Make sure that Siri is turned on.
  2. Restart your iPhone and your car. Depending on your car, you might see the CarPlay Home screen when you turn it on. If you don't, look for the CarPlay logo on your car’s display.
  3. If possible, connect your iPhone to a different USB port in your car.
  4. Try a different Lightning to USB cable. Make sure that the cable is certified.
  5. Update to the latest version of iOS.
  6. Check your car’s manual for help. You might need to install firmware updates for your stereo.

Let us know how it goes.

Have a great day!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2018 9:35 AM in response to ewokIN

Hello, ewokIN!

Thank you for getting back to us with that additional information about using CarPlay with your iPhone X and your Subaru Impreza. I know how important it is to have the features on your phone and vehicle working properly, and I'm happy to help.

I see that you mentioned after resetting your phone, you are now unable to use your iPhone X to play music or make calls in your car. Are you connecting your iPhone with a Lightning to USB Cable when you try? From what I've read in both the Apple & Subaru resources, it appears that connecting via Bluetooth is not necessary when using CarPlay in your Subaru Impreza. See the following for more information about setting it up:

Set up CarPlay

1. Make sure that your car or stereo supports Carplay.
  2. Plug your iPhone into the CarPlay USB port. The USB port might be labeled with a CarPlay icon or a smartphone icon. If the CarPlay Home screen doesn’t appear, select the CarPlay logo on your car’s display.
    • If your car supports CarPlay over a wired solution, plug your iPhone into the USB port of your car. The USB port might be labeled with a CarPlay icon or a smartphone icon.
    • If your car supports wireless CarPlay, press and hold the Voice Control button on your steering wheel to set up CarPlay. Or make sure that your car is in wireless or Bluetooth pairing mode. Then on your iPhone, go to Settings > General > CarPlay > Available Cars and select your car. See your car's manual for more information.
  3. Make sure that your car is running.
  4. Ask Siri for what you need. You can do this in a few ways:
    • If your car has one, press and hold the Voice Control button on your steering wheel. Then ask what you need.
    • If you have a touch screen, touch and hold the Home button in CarPlay until Siri appears on your stereo display. Then ask what you need.
Set up CarPlay with your iPhone

Please note: The Subaru Impreza does not appear to support "wireless CarPlay" as mentioned in the above resource, so a Lightning to USB Cable is necessary in order to use CarPlay in your vehicle. If you continue to have issues after following these steps, here are some more things you can try (from that same article):

Get help

If CarPlay doesn't work like you expect, here’s what you can check. After each step, try using CarPlay again.

1. Make sure that Siri is turned on.
  2. Restart your iPhone and your car. Depending on your car, you might see the CarPlay Home screen when you turn it on. If you don't, look for the CarPlay logo on your car’s display.
  3. If possible, connect your iPhone to a different USB port in your car.
  4. Try a different Lightning to USB cable. Make sure that the cable is certified.
  5. Update to the latest version of iOS.
  6. Check your car’s manual for help. You might need to install firmware updates for your stereo.

Let us know how it goes.

Have a great day!

Apr 14, 2018 6:41 AM in response to ewokIN

Hello, ewokIN.

It looks like no one has responded to your question. Here are a couple things that might help others answer:

1. Is this cellular data issue only happening while your iPhone X is connected to your Subaru Impreza, or have you noticed it happening elsewhere as well?
2. What are you doing when you notice the issue? Browsing with Safari, accessing another app, etc.?
3. How does your phone connect to your Subaru? Bluetooth, USB Cord, or some other method?
4. What's the exact error you're getting, and what steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

Thanks!

Apr 14, 2018 3:11 PM in response to raina_b22

I had to go out today. I did not connect my iPhone X to Apple play by Bluetooth, nor did I plug it into USB. I had no problems with my iPhone, but I had to answer the phone. Calls did not go through my car. Yesterday I connected to Bluetooth and Apple Play. I could not place calls through my car, I could not use maps, I could not get email or use safari. (I tried these while parked). I received a message each time I tried stating unable to access cellular data. Yet, my phone showed in upper right hand corner it was connected to cellular. Also, cellular was turned on for mail, texts, etc. It also caused my phone to stop communicating to my i watch despite remaining paired. I tried turning cellular off and then back on and tried rebooting my phone. Still not working. Had to totally reset my phone and then my watch. (This was all done after returning home.). Now I am not able to use my iPhone X with my Subaru to play, musUser uploaded fileic, make or receive calls, etc. My iPhone 6 was using iOS 11.3 and I had no problems with the 6 and my Subaru. Very frustrating!!!!

Apr 18, 2018 10:16 AM in response to MoonJ.

Again, my iPhone 6 with iOS 11.3 had no problems. To my knowledge there is not a more recent iOS update. My iPhone X is using iOS 11.3. Both using iOS 11.3 only the iPhone 6 functions with my Subaru Impreza. I realize the phone can be connected by Bluetooth alone. However, I want to be able to plug my IPhone X into the USB to charge with out the issue. I still have to verify if connecting my iPhone 6 by Bluetooth to my Subaru’s elicits the same malfunction. I worked with Apple Support yesterday and they had me wipe my phone out to original factory settings. I will see if this worked when I have the time to reset my phone if it does not work. Thank you for your response.

iPhone X/11.3 issues with Subaru

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.