Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clickable links in Mail don't work

I'm on OS 10.13.4 and Mail version 11.3.

I've been working on a non-spam, legitimate email marketing campaign. I represent a non-profit community choir, pretty benign stuff. We've developed a PDF version of our concert publicity poster, which includes two embedded clickable hyperlinks: <Click here to join our email list> and <Click her to purchase tickets>

Some community organizations are willing to send our concert posters to their email lists. This is a good publicity opportunity for us.

There's been a problem. When I receive the poster as an email attachment in my own Apple Mail, it displays okay but the hyperlinks are dead. I'm worried that too many recipients will get the PDFs in clients that don't work with the links.

If I open the attached PDF with Preview, then the links work. The hyperlinks are clickable in Gmail.

Is there some way I can alter the format of the clickable links in the PDF document so they will open in Mail? Is there some kind of setting I can change in Mail to make these links active?

If not, why are the links unresponsive in Mail?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Apr 14, 2018 11:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2018 7:10 PM

I never thought about this before. What determines whether the PDF is rendered and displayed in Mail?

Mail will render a PDF inline if it is one page and the size is below a certain limit. Multi-page PDFs and very large PDFs will not render inline. There may be other restrictions, but I haven’t encountered those.
I also think there is no way to force not-rendering-inline of a PDF, as a sender, if you wanted to.

The problem PDF I mentioned also has clickable links in Preview or Safari. When I view the problem PDF in Mail, the links don't work.

Now I understand that you specifically mean that the links don’t work inline (where the object is rendered as part of the message). I think that may simply be a limitation of how Mail renders PDFs inline: without support for links.
Mail.app on iOS is a little bit more transparent, as a single click on an attachment will open it in a viewer (but not a separate app) that does support web links.

The solution may simply be to repeat your links in text in the e-mail message. E.g. something like: “For your convenience, the important links on the poster are: wwwfoocomlist and wwwfoocomticket”.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2018 7:10 PM in response to Timothy Miller

I never thought about this before. What determines whether the PDF is rendered and displayed in Mail?

Mail will render a PDF inline if it is one page and the size is below a certain limit. Multi-page PDFs and very large PDFs will not render inline. There may be other restrictions, but I haven’t encountered those.
I also think there is no way to force not-rendering-inline of a PDF, as a sender, if you wanted to.

The problem PDF I mentioned also has clickable links in Preview or Safari. When I view the problem PDF in Mail, the links don't work.

Now I understand that you specifically mean that the links don’t work inline (where the object is rendered as part of the message). I think that may simply be a limitation of how Mail renders PDFs inline: without support for links.
Mail.app on iOS is a little bit more transparent, as a single click on an attachment will open it in a viewer (but not a separate app) that does support web links.

The solution may simply be to repeat your links in text in the e-mail message. E.g. something like: “For your convenience, the important links on the poster are: wwwfoocomlist and wwwfoocomticket”.

Apr 15, 2018 9:05 AM in response to Timothy Miller

Make sure you create valid internet hyperlinks (Web Links), as some ‘smart’ correcting and automated detection functions may not be available on the iPhone, as they are on the desktop. Text with http, www, a​@​b.com might be automatically interpreted as a link, without such definition in the PDF, but that depends on software with the recipient that you cannot control.

The proper way may be to set explicit links in a PDF editor; the full URL with htt​p:// or htt​ps:// .

Try mailing this Apple PDF to yourself. The various text links work for me in Mail on iOS.

Apr 15, 2018 9:05 AM in response to Timothy Miller

Thank you for your generous effort.

The sample PDF you suggested was a good idea. When I try to mail it to myself, I get a little PDF icon in Mail, though it's small, 187 KB. The PDF I'm having trouble with renders and displays in mail, though it's much larger, 1.1 MB.

The sample PDF you suggested has clickable links in Safari or Preview. I don't know how to get it to display in Mail. I tried "Quick Look," which may be the same thing. In that case, the links do not work.

I hope you'll be willing to enlighten me a bit further.

Clickable links in Mail don't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.