Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Installer package Error

I've had this problem for a while, but I've kept saying "Do not install" to the update requests because I've known that the updates haven't worked.

The problem is this, no version of the iTunes64Setup.exe for the last few months will ever complete the install process because it always gives the error, "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor." Why give so little information when I downloaded the installer directly from the "iTunes - Download iTunes Now - Apple" website?

I have tried running the in-iTunes updater, I've tried using the Windows Programs and Features "Repair" tool to fix it, and (just now) I tried uninstalling iTunes thinking that a "fresh" install would help, but it didn't. Now my PC has no access to iTunes and no way to reinstall it.

Some PC info:

Windows 10 Pro, Version: 1709, Build: 16299.371, OS Type: 64-bit, CPU: Intel i7-5700HQ, RAM: Plenty, Updated: Today

Posted on Apr 14, 2018 10:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2018 5:21 AM

That error is usually caused by a sticky copy of Apple Software Update.

Try repairing Apple Software Update from the Programs and Features control panel, then uninstall it before trying to reinstall iTunes. If it won't repair try the Microsoft troubleshooting utility mentioned in note 1 of the following guide. If it still won't uninstall you can remove all Apple components that will uninstall then use the steps in Install missing components to install everything apart from Apple Software Update.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator. It may also help to temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2018 5:21 AM in response to JetStream90

That error is usually caused by a sticky copy of Apple Software Update.

Try repairing Apple Software Update from the Programs and Features control panel, then uninstall it before trying to reinstall iTunes. If it won't repair try the Microsoft troubleshooting utility mentioned in note 1 of the following guide. If it still won't uninstall you can remove all Apple components that will uninstall then use the steps in Install missing components to install everything apart from Apple Software Update.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator. It may also help to temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Apr 23, 2018 5:21 AM in response to turingtest2

I tried the "missing MSI" fix, but it didn't help. I moved on to the Microsoft registry diagcab and iTunes finished installing. Now i just need to see if it'll "update" when the next version of iTunes comes out. I've had numerous issues with the Apple Software Update program before. I don't know why, but ASU is the most unstable piece of software that I have to deal with.

Thanks!

iTunes Installer package Error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.