Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone wifi and airplane mode

My iphone 7 turns off wifi when I turn on airplane mode. But my wife's iphone X leaves wifi on when in airplane mode. I'd like both phones to act the same. How do I change which functions airplane mode turns off?

iPhone X, iOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 17, 2018 6:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2018 4:21 PM

I have two iPhones and one of them does not turn wifi off when airplane mode is on. This is incorrect behavior. I want to make this iPhone have the correct behavior. I can't seem to find any controls on what airplane mode does.

6 replies

Apr 19, 2018 5:32 PM in response to drtef

As said, AirPlane mode turns off all wireless features when activated. This includes Wifi, Bluetooth and Cellular.

From Apple's own Support document: Use Airplane Mode on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

Airplane mode turns off the wireless features on your device so that you comply with airline regulations.

There's a exception however as explained in the link above:

Apple wrote:

If you turn on Wi-Fi or Bluetooth while you're in Airplane mode, they will be on the next time you use Airplane mode, unless you turn them off while in Airplane mode.

iphone wifi and airplane mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.