Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to scroll in PDF markup using Apple Pencil?

If I open a PDF that was received in the Mail app, it appears in the Markup view. With my Apple Pencil, I can then mark it up. Great, that works wonderfully.

But if I want to scroll down the PDF, I have to use my fingers. How can I scroll using the pencil instead of my finger, which leaves smudges on my screen?

Someone else asked the same question, but got no response and now the thread appears to be closed:

Markup & PDF'S & pencil

iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 11.3, Apple Pencil

Posted on Apr 20, 2018 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2018 3:11 PM

Yeah, we recently started using OneDrive, which also has PDF annotation capabilities. In that app, the pencil acts just like a finger unless you explicitly select a markup tool (e.g., marker, highlighter, eraser, etc.). To scroll, you just unselect the markup tool and you're back to scrolling. Would sure be nice if Apple could catch up to its competitors with that... or maybe use the force sensitivity to be able to make the pencil do both.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2018 3:11 PM in response to Michael Black

Yeah, we recently started using OneDrive, which also has PDF annotation capabilities. In that app, the pencil acts just like a finger unless you explicitly select a markup tool (e.g., marker, highlighter, eraser, etc.). To scroll, you just unselect the markup tool and you're back to scrolling. Would sure be nice if Apple could catch up to its competitors with that... or maybe use the force sensitivity to be able to make the pencil do both.

Unable to scroll in PDF markup using Apple Pencil?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.