Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect to 5GHz Wifi

Hello everyone,

I'm using Iphone 6 plus, 128G but after upgrading to IOS 11.3 i can no longer find the 5GHz wifi and can only connect to 2.4GHz wifi. I observed also that when browsing at wifi 2.4GHz I experience some lag and slow to open pictures and movies even I'm using 20mbps wifi bandwith. I did try restore my Iphone to new device, (erase all data reset to factory setting) yet there no 5GHz wifi.I don't have experience like this when I'm using IOS 9.3.5. Please help. Thank you so much.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 21, 2018 9:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2018 5:41 PM

My 5s can connect to 5GHz networks just fine, so your 6 should also. I'm on 11.3.1.

You could try resetting your network settings - whenever I have odd internet behavior, that's something I try. You will have to re-enter any wifi passwords.

"Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before."

That quoted bit is from the article below.

If you see No Service or Searching on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

~Lyssa

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2018 5:41 PM in response to ohrleejr

My 5s can connect to 5GHz networks just fine, so your 6 should also. I'm on 11.3.1.

You could try resetting your network settings - whenever I have odd internet behavior, that's something I try. You will have to re-enter any wifi passwords.

"Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before."

That quoted bit is from the article below.

If you see No Service or Searching on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

~Lyssa

May 17, 2018 6:58 AM in response to ohrleejr

Do you have different names for your 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands? If not, that's a good way to assure that devices will always choose 5 GHz if you use that band's name. If the names are the same the device will choose the band with the stronger signal.

A couple of things you should try (you may have already, of course):

May 18, 2018 2:58 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I have different names for my 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHz band and I already tried all the possible solutions that you have mentioned. I tried to search about this issue, yes there really is a problem about 5GH connectivity right after updating to IOS 11 (Lost my 5Ghz WiFi signals after iOS 11 update). For now, I'll just wait for the next IOS update hoping that the next one will resolve 5GHz wifi connectivity issue.

Ohrlee

May 17, 2018 6:45 AM in response to Lyssa

Other devices are running on old IOS version (iOS 9.0) and they can see both 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wifi. Even the andriod phone of my son's friend can detect the 5GHz wifi, only my Iphone 6 plus have problem in detecting 5GHz Wifi. By the way i did try also to restart my modem/router through system (not just by pulling the power plug) and right after the restart all devices in the house can still detect and connect to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wifi. My modem/router brand is EchoLife HG8145V (Huawei).

Ohrlee.

May 18, 2018 7:33 AM in response to ohrleejr

I did NOT lose 5GHz connectivity on either of my iOS devices after upgrading. If it was a problem with the version there would be thousands of posts about it and articles in all of the trade publications as well as tech columns In major news publications. Wait if you want, but the probability of the next release fixing it is vanishingly small.

BTW, have you verified the problem with other 5 GHz networks?

You would have a much better chance of fixing it if you contact Apple Support using the link at the top of this page.

Can't connect to 5GHz Wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.