Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crackle and Pop using CarPlay

I am having an issue with audio quality when using CarPlay. This issue affects playback using both iTunes and the Podcast app. Every 3 - 15 minutes the audio will skip for about half a second and very often, but not always, comes back highly distorted with crackling and popping. Very occasionally it will skip and not experience an audio drop.

The only work around I have found is to either turn off the car and restart it, or unplug the phone from the USB and re-plug it. This works until the next skip, which are occurring more frequently in recent days.

Switching to a different podcast or album results in a clean signal until another skip occurs. Switching from an affected podcast or album to a clean one, then back again, does not fix the issue. Once corrupted the audio remains corrupted until the phone is disconnected then reconnected.

I have tried the following with no success -

• Rebooting the phone
  • Using a new lightning cable

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 24, 2018 10:04 AM

207 replies

Aug 27, 2018 10:19 PM in response to Justphoneproblems

Pay no attention to the evangelical Apple policy bashers. Yes, Apple has seen this issue. I can only speak for myself, but Apple have asked for diagnostic logs, video of the issue and a link to this thread. The more people posting in this thread "me too" just draws more attention to the bug and logically Apple would pay more attention to it regardless of the source of the feedback. Anecdotal evidence points to other people giving Apple this thread ID too. Why would they ask for it if they weren't going to use it?

Regardless you should:

1. Open a support case with Apple, they will likely trouble shoot the issue and will probably escalate the issue to a senior technical advisor when they can't solve it
  2. Give them the thread ID of this thread - 8370078
  3. Leave feedback Feedback - iPhone - Apple of the bug

Let us know Apple's response. It would be interesting if they tell you if it's a known issue yet or not.

Thanks,

May 23, 2018 6:35 PM in response to SM-CO

I have been studying this issue for the past month as it frustrates me to no end.

My wife's iPhone 8 was not updated to 11.3 - She has no issues.

My iPhone 6s was updated to 11.3.1 (i'm a sucker for the red UPDATE ME badge on settings) and immediately I experienced the issues (crackling, affecting all phone, music, etc... all audio is affected).

We have two Carplay enabled Chevy (a silverado and suburban) radios. She has no issues, while I have issues within 10-15 minutes of Carplay use (on average).

I have replaced cables, unpaired bluetooth, deleted Carplay settings, etc... no real help. Also, several rental cars (Hyundai's and Dodge's mainly) have also had the same issue when using Carplay.

This is either a 11.3.1 problem or an iPhone 6s @ 11.3.1 problem. I have called Chevy Infotainment and lodged two tickets (allowed one per car) but they really didn't have any answers. I am trying to be patient while waiting for a fix but I don't even see it in the beta change log!

Someone at Apple - Please isolate and resolve this annoying problem! Carplay is a big part of my life.

Aug 15, 2018 8:56 AM in response to bjorn.b

I will see if I can add a bit of an explanation from another user's viewpoint as to why things are being deleted. Apple may call the current beta release "public" because it is available to the public - anyone can sign up, so it is public. Discussing it anywhere though is NOT. Please read these two documents:

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/faq

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/legal

So, Apple considers it confidential; if you are running the beta, then you cannot discuss it or any of its added or missing features anywhere. Anyone running the beta agreed to that when they signed up. That includes discussing or linking to sites where they are violating their non-disclosure agreement terms by discussing anything about it.

And, as for these forums: the only Apple employees are the hosts who keep these sites running and monitor them. They do what they need to do: delete any mention of a beta so they are not in violation of Apple's rules.

So, if you want to call Apple's attention to a problem, discussing it here on user to user forums is pointless. Apple's development or engineering teams do not regularly monitor these discussions. If you want their attention, address it directly with Apple. Have you addressed it with Apple support?

Jun 30, 2018 11:26 PM in response to Schmidlapp84

In reply to "If you haven’t yet, get down to your dealer to update your CarPlay stereo software" there is no available update from Hyundai (Cartronics) that fixes this bug. I definitely encourage people to:

• Call Apple Care Support
  • They will ask you to go through trouble shooting steps. The steps won't work. Give them the thread ID of this thread "8370078" and attach it to your case.
  • The more people contacting Apple about this, the quicker it will be fixed.
  • Contact Hyundai Customer Relations, let them know that you have a problem with your vehicle the servicing department can't fix.

The more people doing this, the better. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Cheers,

May 30, 2018 8:02 PM in response to ashok250

Sorry to disappoint but im running an iPhone 8+ on iOS 11.4 and can confirm the popping is still there!

More so I even had the head unit replaced today for a newer version for another reason (Hyundai i30 BY16 - Australia) and the problem is still there.

A comment from Apple would be good.

If I connect the phone to the head unit via Bluetooth (not carplay) there is no issue with audio streaming.

Jun 2, 2018 9:41 PM in response to SM-CO

I’m getting the same issues. I’m using an iPhone 7 Plus had the issues for a while, at least a year. I’ve taken it into Hyundai but they say it’s an Apple software problem. Btw have tried 4 different Apple cables and 2 after market cables, two different iPhones 7 plus’ with the same annoying popping and crackling during audio being played through CarPlay. Doesn’t happen when I stream through Bluetooth.

Jun 4, 2018 5:20 PM in response to SM-CO

Exact same issue. I have a Hyundai Veloster 2016. I've had the issue for a year very infrequently but since iOS11.3 it's been constant popping and crackle where I can't listen to music. Hyundai replaced speakers etc but now say it's Apple's issue and will not carry out anymore work.

iOS 11.4 did not fix the issue.

Found this video of the exact issue I'm having: Apple Carplay FAIL on iOS 11.3 and 11.4 - lots and crackle and pops - YouTube

Jun 6, 2018 9:59 PM in response to bjorn.b

I’ve check a couple of songs that I know had this issue but for the most part I can still hear that distorted sound. I want to do a factory reset but I’m not sure if it will fix it and not to mention the hassle. I might contact Apple and see what they have to say since it appeared they fix an audio issue to other users that had a skipping problem on 11.4 update but we still have this problem. You think for Apple being on the digital audio for almost 20 years would have this problem resolved by now.

Jun 12, 2018 4:26 AM in response to SM-CO

Me too having the same problem with my 2017 Hyundai Tucson. I have an iPhone 7plus with latest update. Been to the dealer twice and updated the firmware in the cars radio, issue still continues. Each time they just shrug their shoulders and say it’s an Apple issue. Tempted to go to consumer affairs with this. You pay good money for a car and it’s not up to par.

As far as I see it I didn’t buy the car from Apple I bought it from Hyundai. The blame game is not my concern.

Jun 12, 2018 4:45 AM in response to Kaspa07

This is an apple problem, I have a 2018 Honda and same thing happens before 11.3.1 everything played well. And it’s not just through CarPlay but through phone speakers but since your vehicle sends sound more clean through each speaker it’s more noticeable. Also my wife’s iPhone 8 doesn’t have this issue so it’s clearly a hardware issue to some iPhone users. I was using an iPod but after the new update I remember I had mono audio on in my settings and after 11.4 update I turned it off and the distorted sound it’s mostly gone I can hear it on some songs but for the most part it’s gone but not fully.

Apple just needs to get their stuff right, every update they have there’s always something wrong and it’s just getting old.

Crackle and Pop using CarPlay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.