Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung T5 (500gb) not detected on MacBook Pro (2017)

Hello,

I recently bought the T5 by samsung, 500Gb in order to use it as an external drive to edit my videos on my laptop, a 15 inch MacBook Pro 2017.

When I connect the SSD drive of Samsung, I can see the folder that pops up with the samsung driver for it. I installed the samsung driver and when it opened it said no samsung portable ssd is connected (the light is going on on the drive btw).

After checking a bit I saw that this is a problem from the system preferences and I had to take the extra security down so I opened the terminal and now I have the option of ''anywhere'' when it comes to opening/installing drives.

After doing this, I uninstalled and re-installed the drive 2-3 times and it's STILL displaying the error saying no ssd portable is detected.

Help please??

thanks!

Posted on May 12, 2018 6:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2018 10:00 AM

thanks again Jeffrey,

unfortunately that didn't change anything. the drive is still detected by the laptop and can be seen on the finder, but when the application is launched I still get the ''no portable ssd detected'' message.

Similar questions

4 replies

May 12, 2018 6:50 AM in response to Sebalex

Hi,

Have you tried the latest driver from the samsung website?

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/portable/

also the user manual provides some help as well:

https://s3.ap-northeast-2.amazonaws.com/global.semi.static/Samsung_Portable_SSD_ T5_User_Manual_v0.0_Rev01_English.pdf

Do you see the drive in disk utility? You can find the app here: /Application/Utilities/Disk utility

If so, format the T5 drive there.

Goodluck

Jeffrey

May 12, 2018 7:25 AM in response to jepping

thanks a lot for your time and advice Jeffrey,

I downloaded the latest drive but had the same problem. Actually, when I disconnect and connect again, the mouse icon switches to a ''watch'' icon for a few seconds then goes back to the original mouse icon and gives the error no portable ssd were detected.

The user manual unfortunately does not give any tips about detection problems.

I'm considering formatting the drive in disk utility. If I wish to use it to edit videos using the drive's power and not to store files in it, what format type should I use?

thanks again!

Samsung T5 (500gb) not detected on MacBook Pro (2017)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.