Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro does not see external display on thunderbolt connecter

When I travel, I disconnect the Thunderbolt connector for my external display. Frequently, when I return home, the MacBook Pro does not see the external display again. In System Report/Thunderbolt, it shows my Ethernet cable connected on one port, but the other port says "No device connected." I tried resetting NVRAM, but that did not seem to work. Perhaps I have to disable my password temporarily or hold down option-cmd-P-R longer? I tried changing ports with my Ethernet cable, but I get the same result. Is there some easy way I can train the MacBook Pro to see whether there is an external display connected and connect it when it's there?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on May 15, 2018 9:04 PM

Similar questions

13 replies

May 16, 2018 8:53 AM in response to stevegoldfield

To get a Mac display to become active, you need the Mac to query the display, and the display to answer with its name and capabilities. Otherwise, no data will be sent to the display.

This query is only sent at certain times:

• at startup

• at wake from sleep

• at insertion of the Mac-end of the display-cable, provided everything on that cable is ready-to-go

• on invoking Option-(Detect Display) button in Displays preferences

so try doing some of those things and see if the display comes alive.

Modern Displays with multiple ports are sometimes busy scanning the other ports, looking for an input, and miss the query from the Mac. They need to pay attention to the port you are actually using, or they will miss the query.

Some displays have On-Screen Display settings that can be used to tell the display a computer is attached on a certain port, or a certain port should be highest priority. Changing those may make your display more responsive.

May 16, 2018 5:45 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

it isn't listed there, which just confirms what I see. But that doesn't help to find a solution. If I had to guess, I'd guess it's the cable, but it was fine a week ago and nothing should have changed. I've read that this latest version of OSX has problems with external displays and that could also be the source of the problem.

May 16, 2018 7:42 PM in response to stevegoldfield

One of the things I'd try is this … if you've got a TV, go untangle a different HDMI cable from behind your TV and try using that cable to connect your Mac to the external display, and/or try using the first cable to connect your Mac to your TV (instead of to the external display). This will help prove that your existing HDMI cable is functional.

May 17, 2018 7:45 AM in response to iEvan 3.0

The HDMI cable on my TV does not have a thunderbolt plug at the other end. I only have one HDMI to thunderbolt cable (they are ridiculously expensive, as I recall). I bought a second ethernet to thunderbolt adapter when I had problems with ethernet on my MacBook. That problem turned out to be a software issue, which I fixed. I wasted money buying the second adapter unnecessarily. I could have a cable problem, but I don't think that is likely since it was working fine last week. Unplugging and plugging in a cable does not seem likely to break it.

May 17, 2018 8:01 AM in response to stevegoldfield

DisplayLink software creates a software-only display buffer in your Mac's main memory, and uses a more mundane interface such as USB-2 to send it out to a "stunt-box" that puts it on a display cable. These boxes have a reputation for being slow to update and frustrating for mouse-tracking, but some users find them acceptable.

DisplayLink's failure to keep up with the changes in MacOS has NOTHING to do with a general failure to recognize displays that are fully supported by Mac Hardware-based display interfaces.

May 19, 2018 8:00 AM in response to stevegoldfield

Okay, you wouldn't be able to test that particular cable with your TV setup then. But the MacBook Pro (15-inch, late 2013) referenced in your original post would have a built-in HDMI port on the right hand side which you could use to plug in to your TV setup directly without using the Thunderbolt port, and presumably you'd also be able to use the same HDMI cable from your TV to hook up to your external monitor as well.

Just a suggestion. I'd like to rule out hardware/cable flakiness …

MacBook Pro does not see external display on thunderbolt connecter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.