Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login Taking a Long Time after FileVault

I'm configuring a new Air for one of my users. I just restored about 60GB of data from our cloud backup and restarted. FileVault is on and I have been waiting for it to show me the Desktop for over an hour. Is this FileVault related? I see a progress bar with the username and an arrow. The arrow moves when I use the touchpad. I'm afraid to shut it off completely because restoring that data took forever. Should I just wait?

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on May 17, 2018 11:22 AM

5 replies

May 17, 2018 12:07 PM in response to dnelson2813

Encryption is a background process and does not interfere with other functions, it will just take longer to finish if the computer is busy. I would make a hard shutdown and reboot. If the data is in an iCloud account, then it will be available to download, albeit slowly and if it is on the computer, a reboot will not affect it anyway.

May 17, 2018 12:20 PM in response to dnelson2813

I'm not quite sure if what you are describing is abnormal. It's normal for a User Account name and icon (sometimes a generic one) to appear on a FileVault encrypted startup normal. It takes only a few seconds for that prompt to appear after a cold boot.

You need to select a user and provide its account password with the keyboard before that Mac will even start, much less display the Desktop image. Nothing else will happen until that password is provided to unlock the startup disk. Did you try that?

May 17, 2018 12:33 PM in response to John Galt

I may have been unclear. It brings me to a login screen and lets me enter the password and hit return, then a progress bar appears, gets about 80% done and stops. I tried shutting it off and logging back in but same behavior. I'm just going to restore it. The cloud backup was from our backup server, not iCloud. I'm guessing something in the restore corrupted the OS.

Login Taking a Long Time after FileVault

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.