Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie stuck at 1080p60

I'm trying to create a 4K 24fps video project, but whenever I start a new project it defaults to 1080p 60fps and won't change. I've tried to create a new project multiple times and it just won't change from 1080p60. Old projects still open at the correct resolution and framerate. Any idea how to fix it?

null-OTHER, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4), iMovie version 10.1.9

Posted on May 18, 2018 7:08 PM

16 replies

Jul 8, 2018 2:47 AM in response to janefrombloomington

Same issue here... Driving me nuts...

• Imported a 1080p 60fps clip (as first clip) but project settings stays at "1080p" and can't export 60fps
  • Imported a 4k 30fps clip but project settings stays at "1080p" and can't export 4K
  • Deleted preferences (Cmd+Option at startup)
  • Deleted and reinstalled iMovie (10.1.9)
  • Original clips are from a Fujifilm X-T2
  • Tried importing 1080p 60 clips from an iPhone7
  • Tried importing 4K 30 clips from an iPhone7
  • Quicktime recognises the correct resolution and fps of all the clips (from camera and iPhone)
  • iMovie stays in "1080p" instead of 1080p 60 or 4K
  • MacBookPro 13" 2017

Help?

User uploaded file

Jul 8, 2018 4:43 AM in response to 1Maxxx

So I found a "solution" in this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8354391?answerId=33277330022#33277330022

The OP mentioned he made a 15 sec videoclip on his iPhone and it worked. So wat I did:

• I made a 10 sec (I know, I'm stubborn) video on my iPhone7 in 1080p60 and one in 4K 30
  • I restarted iMovie clearing my settings (Option+Cmd at startup) << Don't know if this is really needed
  • I started a new project
  • I selected Import media and selected the 1080p60 iPhone clip as the first clip
  • Without even having to drag it to the timeline... VOILA... Project setting in iMovie were 1080p 60 (see screenshot)
  • Same worked for importing the 4K clip > Project settings were 4K

And here's the weird thing: when I import a short (1.5 sec) 1080p60 or 4K clip from my iPhone and import it as the first clip in my timeline, the whole project stays at 1080p (for the 1080p 60 and 4K clips). Just deleting the short clip and importing the longer iPhone clip resets the iMovie project to the correct 1080p60 or 4K...

Delving a bit deeper I checked the frame rates (open in Quicktime and Cmd-I shows the Clip info) of the original 1080p60 clips from the camera and iPhone and found the fps of the clips:

• Long clip: 59.96 fps
  • Short clip: 59.93 fps
  • Fuji X-T2 camera: 59.94 fps (constant regardless of clip length)

I know iPhones have a variable frame rate, and that Fujifilm's 59.94 is the 'correct' fps, but maybe this could play a role that the clips aren't being 'recognised' by iMovie. I couldn't see any differences between the 4K clips. So not sure what happens there...

So in conclusion: "Priming" a project with a clip that is correctly recognised (whichever way that works) as 1080p 60 or 4K seems to be the solution for this strange behaviour... A simple (not too short) iPhone clip might do the trick...

User uploaded file

May 28, 2018 5:00 AM in response to janefrombloomington

Got exactly the same problem, but with 1080p 60fps video projects instead of 4k. I've created a project with 1080p60 material and iMovie lets me only export 720p 60fps. Older projects can still be saved as 1080p 60fps.

What I've tried so far:

• Created new projects and put 1080p60 material (from older projects) first in the timeline. Older projects can be exported with 1080p 60, new projects only 720p 60 (1080p 60 is greyed out) with the exactly same clips in the timeline.
  • Deleted preferences by holding down command and option keys. - now 1080p is available again, but only with 30fps.
  • Reinstalled iMovie 10.1.9. - nothing changed

I've solved it now by duplicating an old 1080p 60fps project and copying the timelime from my new project. Delete the first clip after you pasted the timeline, otherwise 60fps is not available again. Now I can export my project as 1080p 60fps. There seems to be a general resolution and framerate issue with new projects (after the last update?).

May 18, 2018 8:30 PM in response to janefrombloomington

iMovie by default sets the project resolution and frame rate based on the first clip you add to the timeline. So make sure the first clip you add to your project is a 4K 24fps clip and you should be fine. You can later replace that clip with one of a different resolution and frame rate without affecting the project resolution or frame rate.

May 20, 2018 7:58 AM in response to janefrombloomington

Hi, Jane,

Jim has taken you through the correct approach to addressing your issue. His advice is right on. In his last post he intimated that the problem may be with your video clip. I have found with some 4k samples downloaded from the internet that they only show and export at 1080 from iMovie. But when I take a 4K 30p video on my iPhone it imports into iMovie as a 4K project and also exports at 4k. So apparently not all 4k is the same. The literature that I have read indicates that iMovie supports 4k at 30 fps. I would think that should cover 24p as well, but let's find out.

If you have an iPhone 6s or later, try taking a test video at 4k 30p. Import that video into iMovie and see if you get correct resolution and export settings on your project. If you do, then you know that the problem is with your original clip. Changing the frame rate to 30fps might resolve it. I believe that you can do that with the free download, Handbrake. See the frame rate as "constant".

If your iPhone vid won't import into iMovie at 4k, then do a reinstall of iMovie 10.1.9. Drag the iMovie app (the app, not the Library) into the trash, but don't empty the trash. Then update iMovie 10.1.9 from the app store. You won't lose any of your projects. To ease your mind, you still have your old iMovie 10.1.9 app in the trash, that you can drag back out in case there is a problem with the reinstall.

BTW, You computer should be 2011 or later with at least 4GB memory and an i7 processor.

-- Rich

May 20, 2018 9:47 AM in response to Rich839

I re-installed iMovie. No change. Still stuck at 1080p30. I'm using a 2015 Retina MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM. I only have an i5, but I had no problem creating 4K projects before and the App Store page only says I need a Mac from 2011 or later and at least 4GB of RAM. If an i7 is required for 4K, then why isn't it mentioned on the App Store and why would Apple take functionality away from the program?

May 20, 2018 10:07 AM in response to janefrombloomington

Apparently you have found that i7 is not required for 4k. So let's put that issue aside.

Did you do the test that I suggested with a 4k 30p clip from your iPhone?

iMovie does support 4k 30p as the literature says. I have verified that. If you are not using 4k 30p then that might be the problem. Try setting the project with a known 4k 30p clip. As you know, it has to be done with the first clip placed into a newly created project. See if it will set at 4k, and then try to share out at 4k. If that works, add your original 4k 24p clip and delete the 4k 30p clip and see what happens when you share out.

-- Rich

May 20, 2018 5:57 PM in response to Rich839

I tried a 4K 30fps video. Still no change. I have also tried a 1080p 24fps video, and the framerate did not change to 24fps like it used to. Old 1080p24 projects still operate at the correct framerate. I also decided to try a 720p30 video and a 1080p60 video, and both worked like they should (i.e. the 720p video dropped the project resolution to 720p, the 60fps video increased the framerate to 60fps). So evidently, it seems that the option to create 4K projects and 24fps projects has been removed, or at least blocked.

I would understand if 4K support was removed from non-i7 processors, since playback was pretty rough on my laptop when it worked, but I was not informed that the option would be removed and it's not listed on the App Store page. And it still doesn't explain why I can't make more 24fps projects.

May 20, 2018 7:25 PM in response to janefrombloomington

I have been following this with interest. A question, After you reinstalled iMovie did you create a new Library to try all the various clips you mention? As a last thought I have, you might try creating a new user or using the guest account and see if iMovie behaves, I don't have a lot of hope this will help but it is easy enough to try. Best of luck.

May 21, 2018 9:43 AM in response to janefrombloomington

I would try what Jim said. You will then have pretty much run the gamut of possible resolutions that you can do over the internet. You might consider taking your computer to the genius bar at your nearest Apple store and see if they come up with anything.

You might also try creating your project on a friend's computer and see if you have the same issue with 4k.

Good luck with this.

-- Rich

iMovie stuck at 1080p60

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.