Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari can't find the server

Hi, lately when I try to open a window in Safari it say's Safari can't find the server, on pages I have opened before?? It happens allot and it's frustrating. I have plenty of ram on my McBook Pro. I'm still using Mavrick 9.5. and Safari 9.1.3. The server is one issue.

I'm not a know it all when it comes to computers and also need a little help on knowing which kind of files and caches and cookies and apps and I'm sure there are more things I can do in order to clear my mac for more space, in detail???!!

The other question I have I noticed in Network in the location section where the up and down arrows are I have 5 different location dates with time is that normal???? Can I delete the 4 that do not have a check mark? Or do I put a check mark on the latest date and delete the rest? Why are there 5 difference location with dates and time????

I hope what I wrote made since to someone because it is all very confusing to me😕......

How can I make sure that my Mac is save from hackers?????

Last is Google Chrome not doing updates anymore, is it dangerous for me to continue to use it without it doing updates????

Any help I can get would be very much appreciated!!!

Thanks feather6868

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 20, 2018 7:06 AM

Similar questions

19 replies

Jun 14, 2018 7:36 AM in response to feather6868

You are welcome. The only way to upgrade Safari is to upgrade your operating system

How to get macOS High Sierra

Sierra download

Check to make sure your applications are compatible. PowerPC applications are no longer supported after 10.6.

Application Compatibility

macOS Sierra 10.12: Compatible Apps

Also check to make sure there is a compatible driver for your printer.

Do a backup before installing, preferable 2 backups on 2 different drives.

Jun 15, 2018 7:50 AM in response to feather6868

You are welcome. Use the 2 links below to check to see if your applications will work with an upgraded OS.

Application Compatibility

macOS Sierra 10.12: Compatible Apps

When you upgrade, all your files should remain intact, but oops do happen. You should consider having at least 2 backups on 2 separate drives as hard drives do fail. Time Machine will back up to multiple drives, alternating between them. Another often recommended backup is one that is stored away from your home in case of fire or theft. Since that one isn't backed up daily, I'd recommend a clone. There are also cloud based backup systems you can use for off site storage.

Time Machine Basics

Time Machine Basics (2)

Clone - Carbon Copy Cloner (Often recommended as it has more features than some others)

Clone – Data Backup

Clone – Deja Vu

Clone - SuperDuper

Clone Software – 6 Applications Tested

Commonly Used Backup Methods

Cloud Backup Services - Best

Cloud Backup Services - Best (2)

May 20, 2018 1:54 PM in response to feather6868

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History…. The down side is it clears all cookies. Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db and move it to the trash.

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions and turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

May 20, 2018 4:19 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi thanks so much for all the advice🙂. I emptied my Caches. deleted my history. My extensions are already turned off they where off! Not sure if they are suppose to stay off or not but they are still off!! Not sure if it solved my problem yet but I will yet you know.🙂. Someone else recommend I upgrade but I hesitate to do that because of the changes it comes with it.... I haven't even used iTunes yet on my mac. That tells you just how much I know about my mac😊

Again thanks for all of the the replies it means so much..

feather6868

May 20, 2018 4:28 PM in response to feather6868

Hi, I do have another question, I use adobe because I think I have to in order to watch and stream my shows. If I'm not watching it on my mac then Im streaming it from my mac to the tv. whenever I'm streaming I have problems, it plays and stops it plays then stops. Is there another app for Mac's that will work for this where I would not run into this problem? It's happing more and more now especially since google chrome doesn't do it's updates anymore. Like I said I'm clueless when it comes to things like this.

Thanks again feather6868🙂

May 22, 2018 7:49 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric, I feel so confused 😕.......I live alone no one uses my computer but me... I have century link for internet... when I opened Network and clicked on the up and down error I noticed that there are more then one location with dates/times are listed... that is why I ask the question... unless these are the locations from where I lived 3 yrs ago and when I logged in at my mom's house??? The streaming part for Adobe, I'm having issues with it playing and stopping playing and stoping, then this morning it said that my adobe flash player is out of date and need to update and would not play any videos. but it was just updated in april but it is telling me it's out of date?????I should be able to watch any video from safari or chrome right?????

Thanks for helping it means the world I tried the command/shift +4 to attach a file for you but it did not work all a got was an arrow with numbers around it????It worked before I have no idea how to fix it??

Thanks again feather6868

p.s. while I'm tying this message I'm getting a red banner at the bottom saying this site is not a secure site???? never happened before?????? what is going to happen next???????

Jun 14, 2018 7:14 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric, thanks I'm feeling better. The last few days in Safari I get this message This version of Safari is no longer supported. Please upgrade to asupported browser. Dismiss I have plenty of ram since I don't use allot of my features on my mac because one I don't know how and two where I live there is no apple store where I could go to to learn how to use all the apps. But I do look forward to it one day soon... with that said I never had any issues with Mavrick or Safari until lately. First all the things we spoke about earlier and now this. can you help???🙂

Thanks so much

feather6868

p.s. I should have to be forced to upgrade to sierra!!😐

Jun 15, 2018 7:43 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric, thanks for your reply as always🙂. If I do this upgrade will I loose my apps that I have not had a chance to use yet? The ones I purchased when I got my Mac like Word, Microsoft powerpoint,Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook,Microsoft Messenger, Microsoft office 2011, Microsoft Document Connection, Evernote, PhotoScape X, QuickTime Player, Photo Booth, iMovie, iPhoto, Messages, FaceTime, iWed, iDVD? Of course some of them come with a Mac but some of these apps you have to purchase......

The only thing I have been using is iPhoto, Word, Outlook for my Hotmail account Safari, Chrome, iMessage, Skype, iTunes a little trying to figure it out lol... You must think I'm really dumb not knowing!!!?? I just don't know much about computers and how these apps work. Call me old school lol.... I was a court reporter (shorthand) for over 10 yrs modeled for 10 yrs but when it comes to this computer and cell phones I tell you I'm just lost!!lol.... So when I tell you I really appreciate your help I really mean it🙂.

Okay, so if I use a USB drive and copy all my pic's from iPhoto and also my documents and contacts to make sure I don't loose them when I do this upgrade. Will everything stay the same?? Or is there something else I have to do? My daughter told me 4 yrs ago Mom buy an apple macbook pro it does everything for you no more worries.. So I did.. and she was right until lately with chrome issue not doing updates anymore and now Safari too!! It shouldn't force us to upgrade if we are happy with Mavrick🙂....

Again thanks feather6868

Safari can't find the server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.