Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I use rice to dry out a wet iPhone?

IPhone got wet and it's a holiday here, so no repair place is open. I checked the web and it told me to turn it off, take out Sim card, dry it off. Then some websites say put it in a bag of rice for up to 48 hours to dry it off. Other site says don't do this. Which is good advice?

Posted on May 21, 2018 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2018 10:37 AM

Yeah there are a lot of recommendations to place in rice, but if it does anything it's barely so. The other thing about rice is that it has dust that can become sticky when it mixes with water. What would work much better is to have it cleaned out ASAP with something like an ultrasonic cleaner/dryer. Short of that surrounded by a desiccant (silica gel) until it can be replaced.

If there's internal liquid damage, it's probably not anything that you can rely on long term. They only seem to get worse over time. The best thing to do is back it up if you can. The only reason for repairing a water damaged board would be to extract data that hasn't been backed up.

Of course there's the possibility that nothing happened and the seals kept out the liquid. I've gotten my iPhone 7 somewhat wet before, and so far it's fine. The external LCI hasn't triggered yet. But I understand maybe I'm not so lucky again.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2018 10:37 AM in response to Katherine Maas

Yeah there are a lot of recommendations to place in rice, but if it does anything it's barely so. The other thing about rice is that it has dust that can become sticky when it mixes with water. What would work much better is to have it cleaned out ASAP with something like an ultrasonic cleaner/dryer. Short of that surrounded by a desiccant (silica gel) until it can be replaced.

If there's internal liquid damage, it's probably not anything that you can rely on long term. They only seem to get worse over time. The best thing to do is back it up if you can. The only reason for repairing a water damaged board would be to extract data that hasn't been backed up.

Of course there's the possibility that nothing happened and the seals kept out the liquid. I've gotten my iPhone 7 somewhat wet before, and so far it's fine. The external LCI hasn't triggered yet. But I understand maybe I'm not so lucky again.

May 21, 2018 10:39 AM in response to Katherine Maas

All rice does is act as a desiccant. Silica gel packs would be better. Desiccant does work best if placed in a sealed container (otherwise the desiccant cannot actually dry out the environment your wet object is in).

It may work, but try not to get your hopes or expectations too high. And leave it in the container for a week or more, not just a day or two. Drying out something wet in a desiccated environment is a very, very slow process (desiccant in sealed containers is primarily intended to keep dry things dry and keep corrosion from starting, not dry out wet things and stop already begun corrosion).

May 21, 2018 10:27 AM in response to Katherine Maas

You can use rice, it will not damage the phone, however it is only something to do to try and dry it out enough to get a backup done before you purchase a new phone. It will not completely remove water, and the damage has already started. Make arrangements to make a Genius Bar appointment and go in and purchase an out of warranty replacement for the phone. Water damage is not covered under warranty.

Should I use rice to dry out a wet iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.