Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Double Click a folder when adding an attachment to Mail broken in High Sierra?

When adding an attachment stored on a shared computer, if I double click a folder on the other computer to open it and drill down to the file I am looking for, mail attempts to add the entire folder I double clicked as an attachment to the email. This hangs the computer for as long as it takes to attach hundreds of files to the email.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

John

Posted on May 25, 2018 7:02 PM

2 replies

May 26, 2018 1:53 PM in response to johnbdh

Hello johnbdh,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems you are having issues with adding an attachment in the Mail app on your Mac, as it adds the folder that this file is in. To help with this situation, use safe mode to start up your Mac as it does the following things:

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
  • Loads only required kernel extensions
  • Prevents startup items and login items from opening automatically
  • Disables user-installed fonts
  • Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Log into your user account and test the issue while in safe mode and then restart normally and test the issue again.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac ​
Limited graphics performance in OS X recovery or safe mode

Cheers!

May 28, 2018 12:23 PM in response to Teddy_B

Jameson, Thanks for replying.

I restarted in safe mode. Same issue, but I think now that this is normal behaviour for when the files are displayed in column mode.

In any other display mode the folder opens as expected rather than adding the folder to the message. I never noticed this before as this is probably the first time that I had the open dialog in column mode for adding an attachment.

Thanks,

John

Double Click a folder when adding an attachment to Mail broken in High Sierra?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.