Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iCloud storage for multiple photo libraries

Hi all.
I just signed my wife up for iCloud family sharing. We've got the 200 GB tier, and between the two of us that's more than enough. However, I was dismayed to find out that as the principal user I am the only one that can utilize the iCloud Photo Library feature. Considering photos and videos make the bulk of the average iPhone user's storage needs, it is surprising that Apple has chosen not to allow multiple users' photo libraries to be used with the same storage plan.

My question is, has anyone else run into this issue and found a workaround that wouldn't require us to purchase a separate storage plan? A follow-up question: is there any chance that this might be addressed in an update?

Thanks!

iPhone 7, iOS 11.3.1

Posted on May 25, 2018 11:56 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

May 26, 2018 8:40 AM in response to cme884

iCloud is associated with a specific Apple ID and iCloud Photo Library only uses the system library on a Mac so there is no feature to do what you want - you can both use the same Apple ID (my wife and I do) and have one library shared between you - but to have seperate libraries you need separate Apple IDs and therefore separate iCloud accounts

And your question implies that you are thinking of iCloud Photo Library as an offsite storage location, it is not - it is not a storage solution or a backup solution, it is a syncing solution to keep multiple Photos libraries in sync

As to future changes no one here knows - until Apple announces new features neither you nor I have any access to them - you can request features here Product Feedback - Apple

LN

Using iCloud storage for multiple photo libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.