Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to editing an FCP OST or Lower-Thirds template in Motion.

I am trying to edit the FCP Data Card text template in Motion. The text boxes that each bullet is in wont allow me to resize them. I can stretch and change the scaling but not the size of the box to allow it to stretch the width of the white layer underneath. The text box is already set to Layout Method: Paragraph and I get the ruler and resizing squares when I click on the text but they wont drag in or out. Any solutions?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on May 26, 2018 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2018 9:08 PM

BenB wrote:

"Data Card" isn't the name of a title temple FCPX comes with. Could this be a third party add-on?

It's under Titles/Elements, category 'Data', just 'Card':

User uploaded file

Rather ugly 😉 and astonishing complex, when you open it in M5 … beyond my skills to give any helpful advice.

Similar questions

6 replies

May 27, 2018 9:09 PM in response to garrett237

The entire setup is being controlled by Rigs. It's not only the Paragraph Layout that's been "locked down" but text parameters like line spacing, size, and opacity, bullet points positions, etc. have also been overridden.

Before going forward, you have to realize you'll have to completely "gut" the text handling in this title and basically start from scratch. To gut it, all you need to do is delete the "Layout" Rig. You will be starting out with whichever Layout option you have set at the time of deletion (most of the time... no guarantees).

The Bullets Rig is controlling the opacity of the five bullet point cross images, and the Graphic Length Rig is essentially controlling the position of a mask for the "hashmarks" on the top "YEAR" line. You can probably leave those in place.

If you "Open a Copy in Motion" for each Layout option, you could save each as a separate customized project... but I wouldn't even begin to try to make alterations through the Layout Rig.

Once you get all the individual variations set up with your changes, then you can go back to one copy of the set, create a new Layout Rig, then for each variation, create new Snapshot; use the Edit Mode button; make your changes for all parameters for a particular variant (using the separate variant project for a guide), letting Motion assemble all the details. Repeat until finished.

This type of project is as about as advanced a Motion project as there is [it's a 4-in-1]. I'm not for an instant suggesting that anything like this is over your head, but it is very involved (and definitely somebody else's workflow!). There are four completely different layouts used for the text and specifying parameter values will be very tedious. Most template makers would have made this four different projects (and likely "themed" them). This project was also made when Motion was in version 5.0.5 (FCPX 10.0.6)... So... not how I'd make it today 😉 . I'm actually surprised: until today, I'd never seen it before... LOL. If you're looking for ways that are better and easier to align up several text "boxes", then I would recommend Align To (for the + bullets as well). You only have to position one object and all others will be aligned to it. With additional lines of text (not possible in this current version) subsequent Align To'd objects will automatically readjust their vertical positions depending on the number of lines of text... so... "sweet". [Just beware of "overflows" with respect to the background graphics — a project for another day.]

HTH

May 27, 2018 10:28 PM in response to garrett237

garrett237 wrote:

This is awesome!!! Thank you fox_m! …

Mr Mahoney IS awesome, the undisputed MotionMaster.

No, those funny green and red 'dots' can not be corrected.

Interesting, that three (Ben, f., me) heavy-users of FC/M haven't seen this template before LOL.

So, to add at last my 5¢ as unjustified 'solver' of this topic:

Garrett, what is your intent with such a generator/title template?

What fox_ already stated: today, three layouts would be three templates... that simple, no rigging-orgy 😉 (academically interesting, what's possible, but way too complex … for me)

Guess, a from-scratch new Title is much easier to accomplish … for home use, I would simply type

+ line1

+ line 2

+ line… no automatisms at all....

@fox_m

Motion5? by design/look, I would have indicated that as a Motion 3 relict… 😝

(excuse me, Garrett, for bashing your preferred template, but it's so … it doesn't fit my personal taste)

Trying to editing an FCP OST or Lower-Thirds template in Motion.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.