Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB 3.0 Only Recognizes External Drive no Other Devices

I have a MacBook Pro 15.4" - Mid 2012, Model #A1286, 2.6GHz Core i7, running Mac High Sierra, 10.13.4. The USB 3.0 Ports will only recognize an external hardrive and no other device. I have tried using a powered USB hub for other devices and it will still not recognize the devices. I have reset the PRAM and the SMC. (Version 2.1f175)

Any help is appreciated.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on May 27, 2018 6:18 AM

7 replies

Jun 5, 2018 11:22 AM in response to Thomson_J

Hey Thomson_J,

Thanks for testing that. If you restart your MacBook and boot into recovery, do you see these drives when use Disk Utility from there. If so, are you able to run First Aid on the drives as well? Also, do you have access to another computer, whether a Mac or PC? If so, are these drives able to be recognized there as well?

Check out the resources below for help booting into Recovery. About macOS Recovery

Check a disk or volume for problems

You can use Disk Utility to check a disk for problems, then repair them using First Aid. While Disk Utility is checking your disk, your computer may become slower.

Note: Disk Utility can’t detect or repair all problems that a disk may have. Disks that can’t be repaired using Disk Utility may require service.

1. Choose View > Show All Devices.

2. Select a disk or volume in the sidebar, click the First Aid button User uploaded file, then click Run.

If you run First Aid on a disk, Disk Utility checks the partition maps on the disk and performs some additional checks, then checks each volume. If you run First Aid on a volume, Disk Utility verifies all the contents of only that volume.

3. If Disk Utility tells you the disk or volume is about to fail, back it up and replace it. You can’t repair it.

If Disk Utility reports that the disk appears to be OK, you’re done. Otherwise, you need to repair the disk.

Let me know what happens.

Cheers.

May 28, 2018 2:15 PM in response to Thomson_J

Hey Thomson_J,

I can see from your post that you're having trouble with the USB ports on your MacBook Pro. It also sounds like you've tried some great troubleshooting steps to try and resolve this. I have a few questions to help isolate this issue. Are you getting an error message when you attempt to view these USB drives? Have you been able to use these drives on this particular Mac previously? Do you have this issue even in safe mode? Check out the following article to test. Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Let me know the results. Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers.

Jun 6, 2018 9:36 AM in response to Thomson_J

Hey Thomson_J,

Thanks for the update. Based on the steps we've attempted already, I'd recommend that you reinstall macOS High Sierra: How to reinstall macOS

While this process is designed to reinstall macOS without affecting your data, it's always recommended that you have a backup. You can use one of the methods that works best for you found, as explained in this resource. How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac

Best Regards.

Jun 5, 2018 6:23 PM in response to MoonJ.

Thanks for the reply. These USB (memory sticks) drives are not recognized by Disk Utility in recovery mode. It does recognize external hard drives.

These USB memory sticks and other USB devises are recognized on all my other computers, whether a Mac or PC.

This MacBook Pro will only recognize external hard drives no other USB devices.

USB 3.0 Only Recognizes External Drive no Other Devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.