Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sierra dictation

I have enhanced dictation on, but am not getting it to "italicize that" or "bold that" - it just types out those words. Same with "select all" etc.

Everything else seems to work. Why are those commands not working?

MacBook Pro, iOS 9

Posted on May 27, 2018 5:50 PM

16 replies

May 28, 2018 1:29 PM in response to cindyjj

I read your original post. There are no settings beyond enabling enhanced dictation to explain it continuing to type content, rather than obey your bold request. On my Mac, it doesn't even require a punctuation mark to back-track and bold the spoken word.

In what application are you dictating, and does this occur in other applications?

I recommend rebooting your Mac into Safe Boot mode, trying dictation again, rebooting normally, and again trying dictation to see if this process cleared up the dictation gremlin.

May 29, 2018 11:23 AM in response to cindyjj

“See spot run period”

See Spot run.

“bold spot”

See Spot run.

The above is what it does on my El Capitan 10.11.6, and High Sierra 10.13.4 systems. No special settings, and nothing enabled in the System Preferences : Accessibility panel. Are you running any anti-virus or so-called mac clearner products?

I provided you a link to instructions for Safe Boot mode on May 28. It clears out System caches, rebuilds the font database, rebuilds other databases, and runs the equivalent of Disk First Aid on your boot drive. Your data is safe.

Power off the Mac. Power it back on, and when you hear the boot chime, just press and hold the shift key until you see the white boot progress bar. You will be greeted by a login window, and you will know you are in Safe Boot mode because Safe Boot will appear in the upper right corner.

When you boot into Safe Boot mode, it will be slower, and you may experience temporary screen aberrations — but this is normal. Try dictation again, to see if it finally obeys you. It may not. Reboot normally, and try dictation again.

May 28, 2018 3:51 AM in response to cindyjj

I have Enhanced Dictation enabled on macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 installed on a 2014 MacBook Air.

Once you have the Dictation icon on your Desktop, and the three pulsing dots have stopped, simply state “show commands.” On that panel, under Formatting are the terms, “bold that,” “italicize that,” and “underline that.” These are verbal toggles, so if you want undo the effect, you state it again.

For instance, I have just dictated, “See spot run full stop” which produces “See Spot run.” If I wanted to just bold Spot, I can state “bold spot,” and dictation is smart enough to find Spot in the last dictated text and bold it (or unbold it).

May 29, 2018 10:01 AM in response to VikingOSX

Could you tell me exactly what you do to get it to bold?

This is what I did:

(speaking) see spot run period

(it writes) See Spot run.

(speaking) bold spot

(it writes) bold spot

Are there any other settings that could be causing this? Or ways I can cross check? If that is what you do and it works, how do you do a safe boot and how might that correct it?

Thanks.

Jun 1, 2018 8:44 AM in response to cindyjj

Are you waiting long enough?

If I dictate "see spot run bold spot" with no or little hesitation between "run" and "bold" I will get "See Spot run bold spot."

But if I wait after "run" for the dictation to place the text in the document, and then say "bold spot" I will get "See Spot run."

So, try: "See spot run" then wait for it to appear.

Then: "bold spot"

sierra dictation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.