Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back up from Time Capsule to external HD

Hi All,
My MacBook Air makes backups via Time Machine on my Time Capsule. All runs good.
Now I want to make a backup of my Time Machine Backup, on an external HD.
I have a HD (USB) here which is recognised and connected to Time Capsule as well.

But - how do I find the Data that I need to backup?

AirPort Time Capsule 802.11ac

Posted on May 28, 2018 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2018 8:31 AM

If you use the Archive function in AirPort Utility, that will copy over everything on your Time Capsule drive to the USB drive.

User uploaded file

Another option would be use a commercial program like Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) to select the files on the Time Capsule that you want to copy over the USB drive.

The advantage of CCC is that after the initial copy is made, CCC will only backup any changes that have occurred on the Time Capsule since the last copy over. So, "incremental" backups will likely only take a short time.

The Archive function in AirPort Utility will always copy over everything on the Time Capsule drive to the USB drive. So backups will take quite a bit longer......probably 4-6 hours or more.....depending on how much data is present on the Time Capsule drive.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2018 8:31 AM in response to hukabuka

If you use the Archive function in AirPort Utility, that will copy over everything on your Time Capsule drive to the USB drive.

User uploaded file

Another option would be use a commercial program like Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) to select the files on the Time Capsule that you want to copy over the USB drive.

The advantage of CCC is that after the initial copy is made, CCC will only backup any changes that have occurred on the Time Capsule since the last copy over. So, "incremental" backups will likely only take a short time.

The Archive function in AirPort Utility will always copy over everything on the Time Capsule drive to the USB drive. So backups will take quite a bit longer......probably 4-6 hours or more.....depending on how much data is present on the Time Capsule drive.

May 28, 2018 8:58 AM in response to hukabuka

You need to locate the sparsebundle file on the Time Capsule drive with the name of your Mac and select that file if you want to back up everything in the Time Machine backups of your Mac. "Backups.backupdb" is located inside the sparsebundle file. You do NOT need to open the sparsebundle file.

IF.....you were presently backing up to a USB drive that is connected directly to your Mac.....then....you would see Backups.backupdb.

The Time Capsule is a "network" drive, and all of the Time Machine backups of your Mac are stored inside the special sparsebundle file.

Back up from Time Capsule to external HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.