Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When Photos for Mac support Fujifilm's compressed RAW (RAF) format?

For a long time (since early 2016), Fujifilm has been offering a compressed RAF file format in their cameras. It seems Apple Photos can not read these, but can read the uncompressed RAF files. This is odd, since most other RAW processors are able to read these okay (Lightroom, Rawtherapee, Darktable, Capture One etc.).

These cameras all offer compressed RAF:

• X-T10
  • X-T20
  • X-Pro2
  • X-T1
  • X-T2
  • X-E2
  • X-E2s
  • X-E3
  • X-T100

and perhaps more.

These are popular cameras and the lack of full raw support in Photos is keeping me from using Photos for Mac.

Just curious if anyone knows when Photos for Mac will support this file format? Or if there is a way to use plugins for Photos to support this.

I'm using currently using High Sierra, 10.13.4

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on May 28, 2018 9:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2018 9:34 PM

The Fuji cameras you listed are not the only cameras, where the compressed RAW is not supported in macOS 10.13.4. This is the case for many brands.

Look at the footnotes in: Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

Apple does not announce new RAW support in advance, so we we could only speculate. but I have never seen it happen, that Apple modified the RAW support for a camera and added more supported RAW formats to an existing RAW support for uncompressed RAW. If you want to use Photos for Mac, stick with the supported uncompressed RAW files.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2018 9:34 PM in response to arjun.mehta

The Fuji cameras you listed are not the only cameras, where the compressed RAW is not supported in macOS 10.13.4. This is the case for many brands.

Look at the footnotes in: Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

Apple does not announce new RAW support in advance, so we we could only speculate. but I have never seen it happen, that Apple modified the RAW support for a camera and added more supported RAW formats to an existing RAW support for uncompressed RAW. If you want to use Photos for Mac, stick with the supported uncompressed RAW files.

May 28, 2018 9:59 PM in response to arjun.mehta

No one here (this is strictly a user to user support forum) knows when or if Apple will support anything - you can request it here - Product Feedback - Apple

this is he list of current support - Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

You amy be able to use third party software to develop the RAW - most vendors include Mac software with their cameras (no idea about Fuji) and you can use Adobe or other third party software if you wish

LN

When Photos for Mac support Fujifilm's compressed RAW (RAF) format?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.