Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages in iCloud stuck uploading

I uploaded to iOS 11.4 this morning and wanted to finally give Messages in iCloud a shot. At first it seemed like the upload was going smoothly, and the progress bar slowly filled in as my (admittedly large) library of messages and attachments uploaded to iCloud. After about an hour, however, the progress bar stopped moving, and has remained at the exact spot shown on the screenshot below for about four hours in total now (that's backing out the few hours I left to run errands, and the couple reboots I've done to try to force it to complete the upload... with no luck).

My iPhone has remained plugged in to the wall and connected to wi-fi this entire time (minus the time it paused while I was out), and my iCloud storage plan is sufficient for my message library, which I can tell because it already allocated the required space for my messages (about 12 GB) and I still have about 30 GB of free storage space. However, the messages are all still stored on my iPhone locally as well when I go into my storage settings, and when I check iCloud's storage details it shows 0 KB of actual conversations under my Messages. As I said, I already rebooted my iPhone twice and it ended up picking up at the exact same spot with no change. Anyone else experiencing this issue, or know of a potential way to force it to finish the upload?

User uploaded file

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.4

Posted on May 29, 2018 8:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2018 9:07 AM

How long did it take for your process to complete? My progress bar went away and has been gone for about an hour now... but there's still nothing in Conversations. What I've noticed is when I restart my iPhone the progress bar re-appears again at the same spot, so clearly it's not actually finishing for me.

And yeah, I echo your frustration with the added space the messages take up. Honestly I think I'm realizing why this feature was delayed so much... seems like it's still having issues.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2018 9:07 AM in response to Apple Iceman

How long did it take for your process to complete? My progress bar went away and has been gone for about an hour now... but there's still nothing in Conversations. What I've noticed is when I restart my iPhone the progress bar re-appears again at the same spot, so clearly it's not actually finishing for me.

And yeah, I echo your frustration with the added space the messages take up. Honestly I think I'm realizing why this feature was delayed so much... seems like it's still having issues.

May 31, 2018 10:36 AM in response to beachdude42

Strangely, I checked my iPad last night and everything worked perfectly there!

The iPad had only half the Messages history of my phone but after turning on Messages in iCloud, it now has my complete Messages history synced from my phone AND it cleared off most of the storage that was taken up by Messages previously.

So everything went off without a hitch on my iPad but not my iPhone. No idea why.

I'm debating toggling Messages in iCloud off and back on from my iPhone.

Jun 3, 2018 4:03 PM in response to beachdude42

I'm finding that the whole iCloud Message implementation is bizarre. I think it is working. But when my devices (iphone, ipad) are not charging I get a message "Uploading to icloud paused." When devices are charging, it states something like "waiting up upload." This has gone on for days. As others are finding, the storage reflected in icloud is roughly double of that on the devices. Yet, storage for messages is zero. Finally, on my mac, message storage is also listed as zero but all my messages and attachments are visible in the Messages app. Seems like apple, these days, is unable to release a bug free service.

Jun 27, 2018 5:25 PM in response to Glenn Millhauser

I find messages in iCloud works very well. i think the "Conversations" showing as Zero KB or a different number to the icloud storage amount is a bug ive noticed this too this "Conversations" tab showing Zero KB initially for me but if i go out and back in it changes but to a different number than that to the iCloud messages amount and the "Conversations" show only some of my conversations not all them but the messages app shows them all which is weird. Perhaps its only the messages either taking up the most space show in this "Conversations" view or people you talk to most as this is what ive cut it down 2. 1 or the other of these 2 things. but apart from that it seems to work well. any messages i send go to all devices and any messages i delete delete on all and any new devices i sign into and turn on messages in iCloud sync and appear as they should and any conversations i had on one device while another device such as mac or iPad is off will appear so everything is mirroring its awesome. Just hope they fix the "Conversations" bug in settings

Jun 27, 2018 5:29 PM in response to beachdude42

Yes this "Conversations" thing showing as Zero KB is a bug it looks like go back out and in and they should appear if not what i got from my testing is this will only show messages you chat to most or the messages taking up the most space but i could be wrong try send loads of photos or links to a person and see if this "Conversations" tab in settings changes

Messages in iCloud stuck uploading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.