Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID not working after iOS 11.4 update

I have tried ways to solve this issue, but am unsuccessful at getting touched to work again after iOS 11.4 update.

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on May 30, 2018 7:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2018 7:23 PM

Without knowing the "tried ways to solve the issue", start here, If Touch ID isn't working on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

24 replies

Jun 9, 2018 6:38 AM in response to master89x

If you have tried the steps in the support document that I provided, then follow the last steps of the document and make a Genius Bar appointment or contact Apple Support.

If you believe it to be a software issue, then a way to test that is to create a current backup of your device, then restore the device to factory, Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support and set it up as new, not using your backup. Attempt to enroll a fingerprint. If it doesn't work, then it is not software. Restoring to factory loads a fresh copy of the iOS.

Jun 10, 2018 10:47 AM in response to blueman67

I tried following all of the instructions via Apple, but was still unsuccessful. At times, when I attempted to add a new fingerprint, the touch sensor would work for a split second before becoming unresponsive. Unfortunately, with the new update it seemed as if my battery life took a nose dive. When using the phone, the battery percentage turned into a countdown timer...that's how fast it was. Due to the battery issue, I did get a battery replacement. And now my Touch ID works again!!!

Jun 11, 2018 7:17 PM in response to blueman67

Good observation. After the update my iPhone 5s battery indicator behaved weirdly and the touch ID stopped working. The touch ID just worked and the indicator shows 100%. That is the first time it has worked since iOS 11.4 was installed on the 6th June. The weirdness of the battery indicator started after the update. The level of charge changed depending on whether a charger is attached. For example on Saturday I turned on the phone and got a 1% battery remaining warning. I plugged in the charger and the battery level showed over 60%. The touch ID did not work. Yesterday I tried resetting the touch ID but the fingerprint would not build for more than 2 seconds after which it returned to grey. After reading your post I tried the touch ID when the battery indicator showed 100% and it worked. I did not reset the print. It just worked.

Jun 23, 2018 8:54 AM in response to blueman67

I have had the same issue since 11.4 update. I have to do the process of deleting the fingerprints and resetting them almost every other day. Day before yesterday had to do it, and today again. I even cleaned up the otterbox screen the day before yesterday in case there was debris of some kind but the problem continued. I installed the 11.4 last week and had no issues until now.

Jun 25, 2018 2:08 AM in response to Meiosis31

I brought my 6th gen iPad to Apple reseller and the conclusion is they are going to replace my iPad. They couldn't fix the touch ID issue. My iPad's home button doesn't work anymore and they said it could be a software or hardware issue and they couldn't figure it out. I purchased my iPad last April in Paris, France and I'm now here in Manila. My new replacement iPad will be coming from Singapore the worst part is I have to wait for 15 days for it.

Jul 12, 2018 10:45 AM in response to blueman67

Wasn't thinking and hit the update to 11.4.1 button!😠😠😠

Last time it just started working again after the new battery install, but now in 11.4.1 my touch ID is no longer working!!! The generic tips online I have tried again, but still nothing. Touch ID is an integral feature which makes iPhone so awesome. Just sad this is the second time with 11.4 updates (& 11.4.1) I've had issues. You bet I won't be getting a new battery again to see if that fixes it this time! Guess I'll have to wait to see if Apple fixes the bug!

Jul 12, 2018 8:46 PM in response to blueman67

Hi blueman67

Oh no! Not another update. Like you, my touch has been working faultlessly since solving the troubles caused by installing 11.4. But the battery meter is still screwed up showing up to +- 10% between the on and off power supply readings.

Before installing 11.4 I read that "improvements" included something to do with the battery in iPhone 8s which I think may have screwed up the battery meter and touch in the 5s. Apple won't fess up! Corporates never do.

As I said in my earlier post, after reading your post about fitting the new battery and your touch just working, I charged the phone and left it on the power supply and eventually the touch just worked and has worked ever since. It even works when the battery is low and red lining.

Perhaps you could try leaving the phone on charge and see if the touch eventually starts working. Since the 11.4 update I do not believe that the battery meter shows 100% correctly in my 5s. A reason for thinking so is when the phone is taken off charge the meter reading can fall quickly when the phone is just resting. And for those Apple nerds who may pipe up and say the battery is faulty and the touch is greasy - please read all the above posts.

Also for the benefit of Apple, I like the size of the iPhone 5 and do not want a larger phone. Please keep the 5 going.

Jul 28, 2018 10:40 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Me too. I called and went to an Apple Store genius appointment which was absolutely no help. I was just told it failed—but it was working perfectly before the update (which I only did at the request of a chat rep because of another issue). My battery also is now showing issues—and was replaced as part of the battery program a year and a half ago and although I was promised to have to have it replaced the apple store said new batteries are only under warranty for 90 days. Original issue not fixed and now have more than I started with. ****** doesn’t even begin to explain it.

Touch ID not working after iOS 11.4 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.