Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11.4 battery = disaster! Handoff is culprit?

Hi, I have iPhone 6s, my battery life has been reduced by ~50% with iOS 11.4! Without any change in my usage pattern.

My battery health is 96% (device is just 6+ months old). I used to get from 100% down to a single digit in a day+ (30-35 hours) with iOS 11.3.1, now it takes 15-16 hours! And my daily usage pattern hasn't changed a bit. It started immediately after installing 11.4 two days ago (official version, I do not install betas).

I suspect handoff between iPhone and my Mac is the main culprit. Today took my phone off the charger in the morning at 100%. After 11 hours at work and commute (no handoff there) I was at 65%-70% when I got home. After 2 hours at home, working mainly on my Mac (very little on the phone itself), I was down to 50%. After 3 more hours (again, barely touching the phone), down to 7%. What is that???!!!

I am sorry, but this is a huge FAIL. This software "upgrade" has downgraded my battery life by 50% or so. It is unacceptable. Give me back iOS 11.3.x!

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.4

Posted on May 31, 2018 10:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2018 8:36 PM

Update: I disabled handoff on both my iPhone and my Mac, to no avail. I have come to the following conclusion: when you are where Apple decides as home, iOS 11.4 drains your battery like crazy. What they do it for I do not know, but it's outrageous.

Here are my measurements today:

• In 9:30 hours when I was commuting (cell network only) and at work (cell data and wifi), my battery dropped from 100% to 76%. Reasonable.
  • Came back home (cell data and wifi) for 1 hour exactly, battery went down from 76% to 57%.
  • Went out for 2:30 hours, battery went down from 57% to 52%.
  • Came back home, closed ALL apps (including mail and messages) on the iPhone. in 1:30 hours battery dropped from 52% to 32%!

This says enough. When Apple identifies you are at home, they take the liberty to drain your battery even when the phone is supposed to be DOING NOTHING. Again: no apps are running, handoff is disabled on both the phone and the mac.

This is for Apple:

1. Report to the public what the new iOS is doing all this time when the phone is not supposed to do anything!
  2. I consider returning my iPhone for a refund. I got is 6+ months ago, and then you degrade its performance by 50% (in my case) with your shiny new version of iOS. I think I have a case.

I have macs for the last 13 years or so, and iPhones for the last 6 years. I consider whether I should continue this relationship.

Similar questions

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2018 8:36 PM in response to tsipo

Update: I disabled handoff on both my iPhone and my Mac, to no avail. I have come to the following conclusion: when you are where Apple decides as home, iOS 11.4 drains your battery like crazy. What they do it for I do not know, but it's outrageous.

Here are my measurements today:

• In 9:30 hours when I was commuting (cell network only) and at work (cell data and wifi), my battery dropped from 100% to 76%. Reasonable.
  • Came back home (cell data and wifi) for 1 hour exactly, battery went down from 76% to 57%.
  • Went out for 2:30 hours, battery went down from 57% to 52%.
  • Came back home, closed ALL apps (including mail and messages) on the iPhone. in 1:30 hours battery dropped from 52% to 32%!

This says enough. When Apple identifies you are at home, they take the liberty to drain your battery even when the phone is supposed to be DOING NOTHING. Again: no apps are running, handoff is disabled on both the phone and the mac.

This is for Apple:

1. Report to the public what the new iOS is doing all this time when the phone is not supposed to do anything!
  2. I consider returning my iPhone for a refund. I got is 6+ months ago, and then you degrade its performance by 50% (in my case) with your shiny new version of iOS. I think I have a case.

I have macs for the last 13 years or so, and iPhones for the last 6 years. I consider whether I should continue this relationship.

Jun 2, 2018 8:16 PM in response to tsipo

This is for Apple:

You are not speaking to Apple here.

Feedback for Apple goes here >>> http://apple.com/feedback

When Apple identifies you are at home, they take the liberty to drain your battery even when the phone is supposed to be DOING NOTHING.

Did you tag your location as "home" in any app? How else would the phone know you are at home?

The only traffic would be wifi and only for apps with background app refresh enabled.

What does settings > battery tell you? What actual processes/apps were using battery?

Jun 2, 2018 8:42 PM in response to LACAllen

I already contacted Apple support, ran a diagnostics test which brought up nothing, upon their recommendation I have performed "restore iPhone", which took a while and did not help.

When my phone is in standby mode (no app is open) and casual usage for a few minutes at home, battery drops 10%-20% an hour. When I am away from home, it drops 2%-3% an hour. How does Apple know I am home? Well, it does not take a lot of AI to deduce that the place you are every day between midnight and 6am (or a longer time around that) is home.

As I restored my iPhone, I lost all battery stats. Before that I could see the Apple Mail consumed ~40%. Really?

I do not have any heavy processes running, and for most apps background refresh is disabled.

My point is - with the same usage pattern and iOS 11.3.1, my battery life was 30-35 hours. With iOS 11.4, it's 15-16 hours. My battery health is 96%.

It is obvious that the change is in iOS 11.4, as my usage pattern is pretty much the same, every day.

Jun 2, 2018 8:56 PM in response to tsipo

Well, it does not take a lot of AI to deduce that the place you are every day between midnight and 6am (or a longer time around that) is home.

iOS will not do that. You explicitly identify your "home". There is no AI that does this.

You can't manufacture a reason to be upset.

Battery health is unrelated to the iOS version. It is about charge cycles and age.

As I restored my iPhone, I lost all battery stats.

Ok, but what about now? You imply your battery life is still impacted. Have you run your phone for at least 24 hours since resetting? Then you have statistics. What do they indicate now?

Jun 2, 2018 9:41 PM in response to LACAllen

I am not "manufacturing" a reason to be upset, I can measure and count.

Restore was earlier this afternoon, now I have stats since then:

Battery usage - Usage 1:06 hours, standby 8:22 hours. Down from 100% to 26%.

Most of this time I was at home. The 2:30 hours I wasn't (dinner outside), my battery dropped by 6% only (77%->71%).

It shows that Mail was responsible for 40% of the battery usage. Mail is one of the only apps I allow background refresh.

But the app is not relevant. There are many users out there with various iOS devices (check for example iOS 11.4 Battery Drain? | MacRumors Forums) with this issue. It's all to easy to blame the users. But I saw this week how my battery life was slashed by 50% or so just by switching to iOS 11.4, without changing my usage pattern.

Jun 4, 2018 5:59 AM in response to tsipo

Hi,

completely the same here.

Mail uses more than 50% overnight, and drains my phone from ~90% to empty, even with all apps closed, bare minimum background updates and location services.

With 11.3 no issues ast all!

And battery condition is stil reported as good.

Need to have this fixed soon, carrying spare batteries and asking for a power socket everywhere is very annoying!

Erwin

Jun 7, 2018 9:00 AM in response to LACAllen

It's definitely not his battery age.. otherwise he would see more gradual changes not dependent on the iOS version. I just got a brand new SE 3 days ago and updated it to 11.4 my battery health is at 100% and the phone doesn't heat up or anything its just the standby battery drain that's so awful on 11.4 going down a full 50% overnight no matter if i even turn on lower power mode. On my other devices (iPhone 7, and iPad Pro 10.5 its been fine) It seems like the A9 devices like the SE and 6s are getting messed up by 11.4 more info from many users experiencing the same thing here 11.4 - SE - Fast Battery Drain | MacRumors Forums

Jun 8, 2018 11:39 PM in response to tsipo

Hi, I have the same problem related to iOS 11.4 and battery drain, but with an iPhone SE. I contacted Apple Support, they did a remote diagnostics test, they saw that the battery health is OK (84%) -they said thet 80% or less means that the battery is consumed- and they suggested me to change the battery!!

But the iPhone worked well with iOS 11.3.1, with the same usage pattern, the same apps. Apple, please, fix this, and review your quality processes. It seems that iOS versions are not properly checked in iPhones that aren't the latest model.

Jun 9, 2018 4:35 AM in response to tsipo

Strangely, I’m relieved to find I’m not the only one with the battery drain problem. I have an iPad Pro and updated to iOS 11.4 a couple of days ago. I used to use my iPad on and off all day and still have spare juice at the end of the day. Now I see it drop rapidly before my eyes.

I don’t think this is “Home” issue as I’m currently not home.

Nor is it an overnight only issue as I’m seeing the drain all day. When I look at who’s using the most battery power in settings it’s Mail (38%), Facebook (18%) and Safari (13%), so my guess is there’s a problem with anything using the internet. My iPad is WiFi only.

Jun 10, 2018 12:53 AM in response to bacb

Yesterday I “fixed” the problem of battery drain in iOS 11.4 quitting a lot of funcionalities. I tested with:

Wifi: Off (From the settings, no from the control center because control center don’t turn off WiFi)

Bluetooth: Off (also from the settings)

Location Services: Off (Privacy / Location)

Handoff: Off

Background App Refresh: Off

My hypothesis is this problem is related to WiFi-Bluetooth chip that usually is the same chip.

Apple, fix this disastrous update

iOS 11.4 battery = disaster! Handoff is culprit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.