Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canoscan 8800F no longer works in OS High Sierra.

Two things are apparent from what has happened, or not happened with this issue.

Apple have been working toward the full implementation of a 64 bit only OS for some time, this has became a prominent issue with the release of the last OS to support 32 bit functionality, High Sierra.

And.

A lot of software that ran under 32 bit is warning of the need to update software to 64 bit.

Some vendors are refusing to update software, including drivers for older devices like scanners.

Canon has abandoned my Canoscan 8800F scanner as well as many others.

I’m not sure Apple is fully aware of the bad feelings that this causes when people are treated like this, this casual indifference and commercial expediency.

Having just shelled out $3,500 for a new current 27” iMac I don’t feel like buying a new scanner. I’m having to pay for software updates for some of my apps as well.

I think a little help in upgrading to the new standard from various vendors would be appreciated.

I think if Cannon charged a one time upgrade fee of $25 that it would cover the cost of writing new drivers.

Meanwhile if anyone knows of a solution to my scanner issue I’d be happy to hear about it.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Jun 1, 2018 11:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2018 5:58 PM

Canon stopped supporting the CanoScan 8800F after macOS Yosemite (10.10), as that is the highest version of macOS that they offer documented driver support. There was a driver update (13.9.2a) last summer (8/25/2017) that intended support through 10.10. So, based on that, it has nothing to do with 32-bit/64-bit, and everything to do with no drivers provided by Canon for High Sierra. Since Canon has newer scanners on the market, they have moved on. Their fault, not Apple.

If you want to use that ancient CanoScan 8800F with High Sierra, you have a couple of options in descending functionality:

1. Download the free trial of 64-bit VueScan. It will operate your scanner without any need for Canon drivers. VueScan has prolific product development, and avoids scanner obsolescence.
  2. Use Image Capture included with High Sierra.

In 2012, I purchased the Pro version of VueScan for a different Canon scanner, and have never paid for a product update. I receive no compensation, or special consideration from Hamrick software for its recommendation.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2018 5:58 PM in response to drowningindata

Canon stopped supporting the CanoScan 8800F after macOS Yosemite (10.10), as that is the highest version of macOS that they offer documented driver support. There was a driver update (13.9.2a) last summer (8/25/2017) that intended support through 10.10. So, based on that, it has nothing to do with 32-bit/64-bit, and everything to do with no drivers provided by Canon for High Sierra. Since Canon has newer scanners on the market, they have moved on. Their fault, not Apple.

If you want to use that ancient CanoScan 8800F with High Sierra, you have a couple of options in descending functionality:

1. Download the free trial of 64-bit VueScan. It will operate your scanner without any need for Canon drivers. VueScan has prolific product development, and avoids scanner obsolescence.
  2. Use Image Capture included with High Sierra.

In 2012, I purchased the Pro version of VueScan for a different Canon scanner, and have never paid for a product update. I receive no compensation, or special consideration from Hamrick software for its recommendation.

Jun 25, 2018 5:58 PM in response to drowningindata

About your Canoscan 8800F scanner issue I've found 2 options:
a) Use another OS (e.g. Windows or Yosemite on VM or Parallels)

OR

b) Buy a scan software (VueScan or Silverfast works in 32bit mode, similar pricing)

With Silverfast you can scan film strips as well, while in VueScan you need the more expensive Pro version (adds OCR as well). Silverfast is bound to a scanner model, while VueScan can support other scanners with one license. You need to compare and decide what you need.

I've bought Silverfast, I was annoyed of scanning in a different OS and the feature set was more what I'm looking for, additionally the support is very good!

Jun 25, 2018 6:11 PM in response to mirkomaniac

TY Viking and Mirko, I will eventually purchase VueScan and continue using my current scanner, the 8800F Canon.

I still have my older iMac (as well as the new 27" unit) which runs the scanner fine and may keep that set-up running for a while as I also use the CS5 suite and very few of the apps in that suite are 64 bit.

Adobe's monthly rental scheme is way too expensive for me.

Canoscan 8800F no longer works in OS High Sierra.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.