Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages in the iCloud doesn't work on macOS 10.13.5

Hi,

I've turned on Messages in the iCloud on my iPhone and iPad with iOS 10.4 and this is working flawlessly. Yesterday I updated MacBook Pro to macOS 10.13.5 and also turned Messages in the iCloud on. Unfortunately it doesn't work. When I delete messages on my Mac, they still appear on iPhone and iPad. What's curious. When I delete messages on iPhone, this message also disappears on MacBook. So the sync works one way on MacBook. It works from iOS devices to MacBook, but doesn't work from MacBook to iOS devices. I tries turning it off and on again, but it doesn't solve the problem. Does anybody have the same issue and was able to find a fix?

Best regards,

Michal

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Posted on Jun 2, 2018 8:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2018 8:29 AM

Yep. This is one of the #1 biggest confusions for every single Mac user on the planet right now who upgraded to Messages in iCloud in macOS 10.13.5, because Apple didn't explain this properly to ANYBODY.

Here is the missing information that Apple failed to inform anybody about:

On macOS, if you want to delete a message from the Mac AND STILL HAVE THAT MESSAGE DELETED FROM ALL iOS DEVICES AS WELL, then you have to take these additional steps that Apple didn't tell anybody about:

1. Go into Messages on the Mac.

2. Pull down from the "Messages" menu at the top of the screen to "Preferences..."

3. Click on the "General" tab.

4. UNCHECK the checkbox that says "Save history when conversations are closed".

If this checkbox remains checked, then any messages that are deleted from the Mac WILL NOT be deleted from the iOS devices.

But as soon as you uncheck that checkbox, then any messages that are deleted from the Mac WILL be deleted from iOS devices as well.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2018 8:29 AM in response to michalb79

Yep. This is one of the #1 biggest confusions for every single Mac user on the planet right now who upgraded to Messages in iCloud in macOS 10.13.5, because Apple didn't explain this properly to ANYBODY.

Here is the missing information that Apple failed to inform anybody about:

On macOS, if you want to delete a message from the Mac AND STILL HAVE THAT MESSAGE DELETED FROM ALL iOS DEVICES AS WELL, then you have to take these additional steps that Apple didn't tell anybody about:

1. Go into Messages on the Mac.

2. Pull down from the "Messages" menu at the top of the screen to "Preferences..."

3. Click on the "General" tab.

4. UNCHECK the checkbox that says "Save history when conversations are closed".

If this checkbox remains checked, then any messages that are deleted from the Mac WILL NOT be deleted from the iOS devices.

But as soon as you uncheck that checkbox, then any messages that are deleted from the Mac WILL be deleted from iOS devices as well.

Messages in the iCloud doesn't work on macOS 10.13.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.