Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Mojave Run On My Mid 2010 MBP?

Can the macOS Mojave run on my 17-inch, Mid 2010, MacBook Pro?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Jun 5, 2018 2:13 AM

48 replies

Jun 5, 2018 5:43 AM in response to etresoft

macOS Mojave requires Macs with Metal API support:[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_Mojave

Jun 5, 2018 1:29 PM in response to JimmyCMPIT

On macOS, Metal supports Intel HD and Iris Graphics from the HD 4000 series or newer, AMD GCN-based GPUs, and Nvidia Kepler-based GPUs or newer.

AMD links:

GCN is fabricated in 28 nm and 14 nm graphics chips, available on selected models in the

Radeon HD 7000,

HD 8000,

400and

500 series

of AMD Radeon graphics cards. GCN is also used in the graphics portion of

AMD Accelerated Processing Units (APU), such as in the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One APUs.

NVIDIA links:

Kepler was Nvidia's first microarchitecture to focus on energy efficiency. Most

GeForce 600 series,

most GeForce 700 series, and

some GeForce 800M series GPUs were based on Kepler, all manufactured in 28 nm. Kepler also found use in the

GK20A,

the GPU component of the Tegra K1SoC, as well as in the

Quadro Kxxx series, the

Quadro NVS 510, and

Nvidia Tesla computing modules.

Kepler was followed by the Maxwellmicroarchitecture and used alongside Maxwell in the

GeForce 700 series and

GeForce 800M series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_(API)

and links thereinto totter wikipedia pages

Jun 6, 2018 1:03 PM in response to jerryoster

We go through this sort of anguish whenever Apple leaves some Macs behind.

Your Mac is perfectly capable of doing everything it did the day you took it out of the box, and likely a whole lot more if it has been upgraded.

But Apple security update tend to fade away after about three years more or less, so eventually, it will need to be replaced by a a more modern system.

Jun 28, 2018 4:11 AM in response to jerryoster

Well, my company's policy is only buy machines where RAM and HDD can be replaced and since I can't update the drive on any iMac after 2011 (glued shut) that means High Sierra is my last Mac OS.

My 2011 iMacs are now officially unsupported by the latest OS, so that's pretty much signed my company's move back to Windows in the next three or four years since all my macs except an old Core Duo 32 bit model support the latest windows 10.

It was a nice stint, started in 2005 with a bunch of Mac Minis and maintenance consisted of OS updates, RAM and HDD updates until i updated all my machines to iMacs between 2007 and 2011.

That's a shame because I enjoy the OS X experience more than Windows 10 which is clunkly and annoying. But compatibility trumps everything when you're using SAAS.

Jun 28, 2018 6:36 AM in response to Nanchatte Technojunkie

The reason Apple is moving toward non-replaceable RAM and storage is that removing the sockets these devices sit in, and soldering the components directly to the board, improves reliability dramatically.

If they can keep the costs of Drives and RAM reasonable, you get a MUCH more reliable machine at about the same price-point as before. You just have to get used to the idea that you need to buy a little larger than you used to, to allow for some growth, because you cannot swap Internal drives later.

If your needs change so dramatically that you need a computer with much more RAM or much more Internal storage, you can sell the old computer and buy a different one that meets those needs, or hand the old one off to an employee with more modest needs.

Switching to Windows over this issue is really, "cutting off your nose to spite your face."

Jul 1, 2018 12:26 PM in response to Lanny

Lanny wrote:

iMacs have never had upgradeable hard drives.

Certainly not true. Just one example: https://eshop.macsales.com/upgrades/imac-retina-4k-21-5-inch-late-2015-3.3-ghz/i nternal-drives

It's not an easy job, but it can be done.

It is most definitely not true. A trained technician with the right tools and replacement parts can repair virtually any internal component. That does not make all those components upgradeable. Of any such internal components, iMac hard drives are one of the least upgradeable. It is only possible because OWC has reverse-engineered the temperature sensor and included the hack in their adapter cable. I have replaced the hard drive in an iMac and I would never recommend that anyone else attempt it.

Jul 1, 2018 1:48 PM in response to etresoft

Then in theory my 17 inch should be able to run it as I have checked both graphic cards are the same for my 13 inch pro and my 17 inch pro yet the 17 inch pro can not run it. While the 13 inch can I seem to be confused as to why because my 17 inch pro is a combination of a a Mac mini and 13 inch pro it has the same graphics card as the 13 inch with double the processor, memory and hard drive space as my Mac mini. Yet it seems to be that something is off between the 2012 13 inch and the 2011 17 inch that I am not seeing.

Jul 1, 2018 8:07 PM in response to Lanny

Lanny wrote:

It’s not an easy job, or without risk to damage the screen, but the videos I’ve seen for replacing HDs don’t include anything about modified temperature sensors or cables.

Perhaps you aren't looking at the right videos. For example, your first link was an upgrade kit for a 2015 iMac or newer. That video is for a 2013 iMac. If you look at the upgrade kit for a 2011 iMac similar to the one Nanchatte Technojunkie was referring to, you will see that it does include a special OWC thermal sensor cable. I don't know. Perhaps the 21.5" iMacs don't need the sensor cable. If anything, I'm even less likely to recommend that repair now.

OWC HDD Installation tools & SMC Compatibility Solution For 2011 iMac

macOS Mojave Run On My Mid 2010 MBP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.