Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I remove an old phone number from my Apple ID without access to the number?

I am trying to remove my old phone number from my apple ID. The number is no longer live and I cannot deregister through the messaging system. I tried iCloud and it seems it will not let me deregister it. How can I remove this so I can have iMessage on my new iPhone?

iPhone 8, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 7, 2018 10:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2018 11:04 PM

I recently got a new phone number and I added it to my Apple ID. I want to remove my old phone number from it because it is the primary number connected to iMessage and FaceTime. The line is deactivated and thus, I cannot send any messages from it which follows the deregistration steps.

10 replies

Jun 7, 2018 10:43 PM in response to raffytaffy

Hi, below is a link that should provide you will the necessary steps to setup iMessage and FaceTime on your new iPhone. If, you have already gone through these steps then can you please post a screen shot of image thru settings>iCloud/Apple ID>Name, Phone number, Email. I need to see "reachable at," to verify that you are able to edit.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201349

Jun 7, 2018 11:10 PM in response to SwAYRaINes

I am able to edit my email and new phone number and can add any new number. I cannot remove my old previous number, there is only an "i" symbol next to it which brings me to the apple page about removing the number but the steps do not help because I am only using a new iPhone with a new sims card and the number is inactive and will not receive any messages.

Jun 7, 2018 11:30 PM in response to gail from maine

I click my name at the top when I enter settings and then I click name, phone numbers, email under my name

When I click the “i” symbol next to my old number it tells me learn more and tells me these options.

None of them work for me because it’s a new sims, new phone, and old line is now deactivated. I still have the old sims and phone and tried logging in from there but it won’t let me do anything either

How can I remove an old phone number from my Apple ID without access to the number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.