Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How accurate is Find My iPhone? Does it guarantee you'll find you (Red) iPhone 7 at a club with the app On?

Last night , I went to the club, and suddenly realized I no longer had my iPhone on me. My Red iPhone 7 has always had the Find My iPhone app set to On because I have a history of getting my apple products always stolen; however, I was sure it would never happen again. I did all I thought I could do to find my iPhone if it were stolen or lost, even misplaced . Quickly, I realized there was not much I had done, but it was all I could do. I signed in with my friends iPhone. I could see my Red iPhone 7 turned on and signed in to the app Find My iPhone, so I could see its location which near me. I ran outside to the corner across the bar I was located at as I looked down at the phone tracking mine, and once I arrived to its "location," it moved again. lol I asked a few people around me and continued to go from one place to another because every time I moved to the indicated "location," it changed. I gave up and felt helpless when I realized all I could do was run in circles because its not the exact location, its an estimated area of I don't know how many feet or miles, but it was a big area, shown as a circle, being covered and set to be its location. I could walk into all those building around the bar and including the bar I was at, but how was I going to hear the noise you can have it play off your phone when there is loud music and a bunch of people having loud conversations , shouting, as the festival continued. I had to accept that my phone from being stolen if not kicked around wherever I had dropped it. What can I do now, and what should I have done different ? Is there anything I should do now, and anything I could do? What other way could I guarantee my stuff will stay with me? If my apple product is taken from me or not returned to me, do I accept the fact that I cannot do anything about the information thats lost or that they will probably "find." I relied on my Apple phone for multiple reasons: ideas, dreams, conversations, memories, pictures, videos, secrets, and PERSONAL things. Can any if it be retrieved by anyone other than I? I think I cannot retrieve most of that stuff; although, I worry most about someone else being able too. what can I do to make sure they don't retrieve anythings that the phone was used for or had in the phone? I regret not saving all I could have and what I forgot to and what I chose not to as well as what I did choose to because its all gone, or most is gone. What can I do so no one else gets ahold of any if it besides the actual metal and glass its made up of? I guess we should hand write all numbers and delete all private conversations and KNOW that secrets are meant to be forgotten. Hand write anything and everything to make it harder for someone to take it from you without being traced.

Posted on Jun 10, 2018 3:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2018 4:16 PM

Accuracy of location services inside a building where it is not possible to access gps satellites is limited.

If you had a passcode on the phone, no one can access the data. If not, you may be able to lock the phone via Find My iPhone. You can also set it to be erased. See: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support for that and for some other things that you may want to do.

Data that was synced to iCloud will automatically sync back to a replacement phone. And if you had the phone set to automatically back up to iCloud you can use that backup to set up a replacement phone.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2018 4:16 PM in response to Rat0nC

Accuracy of location services inside a building where it is not possible to access gps satellites is limited.

If you had a passcode on the phone, no one can access the data. If not, you may be able to lock the phone via Find My iPhone. You can also set it to be erased. See: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support for that and for some other things that you may want to do.

Data that was synced to iCloud will automatically sync back to a replacement phone. And if you had the phone set to automatically back up to iCloud you can use that backup to set up a replacement phone.

Jun 10, 2018 4:46 PM in response to Rat0nC

As noted look at the advice in If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support. In particular contact your service provider and cancel your SIM to prevent this being abused. When mine was stolen the thieves racked up over £200 in fraudulent premium rate calls overnight. You're unlikely to get your phone back, but don't be tempted to remove it from Find My iPhone. Even if you cannot track it, leaving it listed reduces the usefulness of the device to the thieves.

tt2

How accurate is Find My iPhone? Does it guarantee you'll find you (Red) iPhone 7 at a club with the app On?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.