Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back-up or start fresh with a new Mac?

I recently had issues with my MacBook Pro (late 2011) hard drive and had to have the genius bar assist with reformatting the drive. I then restored from my Seagate back-up (last "good" back up was March 23, 2018). I am running current version of High Sierra. Unfortunately, my Seagate will now not back-up my drive. It runs for hours to only say it can't complete. I have used Disk Utility to "repair" the Seagate drive twice. No luck. I also tried an older 1Click 1TB back-up drive that I had. It backed it up once, but won't do it again.

My question is this: I am now considering getting a new MacBook Air, but am not sure if I want to use the 3/23/18 Seagate ack-up to transfer to the new machine or just start brand new. I'm afraid it will transfer some "bad" files that are keeping the current drive from backing up everything. I do have all relevant documents (Word, Excel, PDF) that I want on a thumb drive. Thoughts? Should I just start "fresh" with a new computer and then only transfer over the documents that I want? Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), iOS 8.1

Posted on Jun 11, 2018 5:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2018 6:07 AM

start with a clean install, not a backup for your system software, then import your data over with migration assistant from your time machine backup

How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies

Jun 27, 2018 8:41 AM in response to lkrupak

One obvious issue with Time Machine is that it needs as much space AGAIN as your regular drive, to make a new backup after a major upgrade or re-Install, because EVERYTHING has changed.

That is why the recommended minimum drive size is THREE times the size of what you need to back up, for trouble-free operation. You have hit the reason why it needs so much space head-on -- this is what the opposite of "trouble-free operation" means.

Back-up or start fresh with a new Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.