Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contact names not showing in text messages on lock screen

I have had this issue for quite some time now, where when certain people text me (only a select few of my contacts), their number shows on my lock screen instead of their contact name. I have read all the threads that I have found regarding this being an issue for others too, but everything I have tried that has worked for others is not working for me... An additional thing I tried the other day was to totally delete the contact and re-add him to my contact list, changing his number from having an international dialling prefix to the standard UK telephone number, once he text me again following doing this, it still just showed his number on my lock screen and not his contact name.

Hopefully Apple will have this fixed for the up and coming iOS release, which is supposed to be being dubbed 'Apple's most stable iOS yet', not holding my breath though...

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 11, 2018 5:49 AM

Similar questions

19 replies

Jun 11, 2018 6:05 AM in response to Chrissaces

Sorry to disagree, but since you said only a selected few then it's not iOS.

Caller ID is a carrier feature and if you have the sender contact info in your Contacts app you should see their names when you receive a message.

I never have this issue since iOS 2.0 (2009) till now iOS 11.4

At the moment my family is using iPhone 6, 6s, 6s Plus, 7 and 8 Plus with iOS 11.4.

Jun 11, 2018 6:39 AM in response to ckuan

I don't understand what you are disagreeing with? Haha!

What level of software knowledge do you have to qualify you to say 'but since you said only a selected few then it's not iOS'? (Just to let you know, I work for a telecoms software company, I'm pretty clued up about software design/flaws 🙂)

Again, working in the telecoms sector, I'm well aware of caller ID and who provides it. I know that I 'should' see their names when I get a text as I have them in my contacts, but to point out the obvious, I don't see their names... This is the whole point of starting this discussion...

I have iOS since 2009 too... This has only been an issue over the last version, maybe the one before, can't remember when the issue started as I just assumed with others having the issue that it would be fixed at some point.

My family are using a 5s and an iPhone X, they do not have the issue... It's still an issue with my handset.

A little bit of advice about software, just because you do not experience it, does not mean it isn't a bug... There will be a way to replicate this issue, sometimes a very strange thing to replicate it, which causes an issue in the software. When I say something strange, I mean like let's say there was an update, then few days/weeks later another update, lets say that this was the point where the contact was added and only during this period did it create the issue for these numbers due to some weird bug in the software that has gone unnoticed, this would be a perfect example of where I would experience something that you have not.

Jun 11, 2018 7:14 AM in response to Chrissaces

I was a lead developer in a fortune 500 company for > 40 years, retired a few years since. I still don't agree to your assessment.

FYI, Yes there are always bugs in software but software bugs do not discriminate so it should happen to many millions (Apple sells > 40 millions iPhone each quarter) of users including me and my family (active with iOS 11.4 are iPhone 6, 6s, 6s Plus, 7 and 8 Plus) iPhone 5s from 2013 (nearly 5 years old) can also update to iOS 11.4.

Where are they?

Even you say it happened to only a selected few. I am in this forum long enough (hint: see my points) and I don't see reports of your issues much especially only to a selected few.

Make a genius bar appointment with Apple then show them how you can replicate the issue and see what options they offer. Good luck.

Jun 11, 2018 3:02 PM in response to ckuan

So with your wealth of knowledge of software (which you should have, given your employment history), you don’t agree that the issue I am facing is a bug with the software on my phone? Please note I am also on 11.4 as an FYI, as I always upgrade versions as soon as they come out.

So if it is not a bug with the software, it is either a) By design, a feature in which is intended, where there is a setting in which you can decide which contact names are shown when I text message arrives on a locked iPhone screen, or of course no setting and by design Apple have decided to randomly select people and show only certain contact names when a text comes in... or... b) I am a liar, just posting here to say I have a problem when I don’t... or... c) it’s a frickin bug with the software...?

I think it would be reasonable for me to conclude that as long as I am not lying, the contact is saved in my phone correctly (I can confirm this, as when you unlock the phone the correct name shows up in the text message screen header) and that there is no setting to decide if a name shows up in the lock screen (per user setting), then it is clearly an issue with the software design? Even if there is some weird way to fix it, maybe by switching a load of settings off and on again in a certain order, it is still a software bug? Even if some ‘genius’ could fix it some way, this would of course be a bug workaround? If there is some unusual way to fix it that has not arisen from the list of other people I have read with the same problem and the workarounds given to them, then surely as it is repeated between more than one user then it should be investigated as a bug at least?

One other thing to point out from your first reply was caller ID being carrier based, which I didn’t understand it’s relevance? Caller ID is an optional service that has become standard throughout carriers, if they allow/enable it, then the calling number is presented to the recipient. I do not have an issue with receiving the caller ID, the number shows up just fine on my phone, the issue is that nearly every other text I receive shows the contact name I have assigned to that number in my phone, just a couple of numbers stored in my phone do not, only the number shows up in screen (as if the number is not stored in my contact list).

I don’t want to make a round trip of 100 miles to see a ‘genius’ (I hate that name Apple gives its workers by the way, it is so pretentious!) for an inconvenience, I’d rather just put up with the issue.

Why are we arguing over this anyway? Do you even work for apple? Do you have any leverage over whether this gets reported to dev to investigate? If not, I don’t get what you are trying to prove by arguing this is not a bug?

Jun 11, 2018 3:08 PM in response to ckuan

Oh, and I forgot to reference your underlined bit about software bugs discriminating... that is correct, no they do not, but as described in my original response to you, some bugs are caused due to a specific event, which can only be replicated a certain way to then cause the issue... so this does not mean that millions of others (including yourself) would ever experience it, without of course being subjected to this specific process to result in this seemingly rare bug

Jun 11, 2018 5:10 PM in response to Chrissaces

Your world may be small, Apple have at least 2.048e10 iPhones that uses iOS 11.4. Where is the Caller ID outbreak?

Not saying you are lying and that you have an issue but I disagree that's an iOS bug as you claimed. Again where are these people.

Caller ID is a feature from the carriers and some even charging for that feature.

Contacts app is a simple but a secure database where a number is match for display if caller id is enabled and working, no magic.

Enough said. No need to convince you.

Make a genius bar appointment with Apple then show them how you can replicate the issue and see what options they offer. Good luck, I will stop posting here.

Jun 12, 2018 2:17 AM in response to ckuan

What caller ID outbreak?? You literally must have got lucky through your whole career as a developer... You can't even understand a simple issue? The telephone number shows on my lock screen, therefore caller ID is enabled yeah? You understand that don't you? So this has nothing to do with caller ID... Right...? Only a select few contacts on my phone do not show the contact name while the screen is in a locked state, but once unlocked the contacts app shows their name as it should. This is in standard phone use where the phone has not just been rebooted, but is a constant issue that can be replicated 100 out of 100 times, I've tested this with a friend, tried all the fixes people have put on the internet and asked him to text me again but it still doesn't work...

I literally think you are either trying to wind me up on purpose or that you are lying about being a developer, because to be unable to accept that there could be a bug in iOS passing details between the contacts database and the lock screen notification is just unfathomable! I'd have hated to be on the same development team as you, you would be the one guy we would all be carrying for sure! You have shown yourself to clearly have no idea what you are on about on this post and unable to understand a simple sentence that I have written above.

I think you will be doing yourself a favour by following your own advice and stopping posting here, purely to stop making yourself look way out of your depth with a simple issue.

Oh, and no, I'm not going to drive 100 miles round trip to try to fix an inconvenience, just to be told that they don't know how to fix it, because they won't. I don't pay the extortionate amount for Apple care and my phone is out of warranty, so I'll just keep my 6s and when it comes to September I'll just weigh up my options with the new phone and what is available on the Android market like I always do, then decide what I want.

Jun 12, 2018 3:26 AM in response to Chrissaces

I've had a similar issue before. One one of our phones this can happen intermittently and only on a couple of numbers.

I'm sorry the other guy here completely misunderstands and is going on about caller ID.

The sender of an iMessage or SMS is NOTHING to do with caller ID at all.

The phone does know the phone number the message is from and displays that correctly on screen but should show the contact's name instead.

On one device this still happens now and again and no resolution. It doesn't always happen.

On another device I had: it happened after an iOS update and I had to go in and "Edit" the contact and make some change and then edit it back, like their name, just to force it to save and sync. This solved the issue I had on one device but that was where this happened every message and showed like that on apple watch, and showed the contact number not name on the conversation too.

This is nothing to do with caller ID and I verified the second issue I had with apple via screenshots and they confirmed the software was at fault but they couldn't say why in my case this was happening. I also showed them me resolving this step by step and they agreed this must be iOS and WatchOS but still couldn't say for why.

I would simply start by editing the contact name and phone number slightly and editing it back again after a few seconds (if you have icloud sync on)

Jun 12, 2018 3:36 AM in response to iZian

At last someone who isn't here to deny there is a problem, and thank you for acknowledging the shortcomings of the guy above who couldn't grasp a simple issue is present.

Thanks for the advice, but I've literally tried everything I can think of, I've followed posts saying to turn off certain settings and back on again, I've done a reboot of the phone, I've edited the contact, got him to send me a message which didn't work, then actually deleted him as a contact altogether and added him again changing the +44 (UK international dial number) to the standard dialling number format in the UK (07*** ******)... even after deleting him totally as a contact and re-adding him it still did not work... I'm starting to wonder if it is something silly like the number sequence of the contacts number that is causing the notification code to not recognise the name, or something like that, as if it was an error with the saving of the details that caused the problem, then surely it would have been resolved by fully editing the user as you have suggested, or certainly by deleting and recreating the user.

Jun 12, 2018 3:55 AM in response to Chrissaces

right; so this only happens to specific contacts and every time?

And the contact's name shows in the message app when you open the app?

have you tried seeing what happens when the contact facetime's you or calls you?

Is the contact an apple contact using iMessage or using SMS ?

One of my next steps you won't like, but the contact names are derived from the conversation, and you might want to try deleting the conversation. If there's a corruption there it might be an issue.

Also worth trying setting a Nickname field on the contact and have your preferences use nickname as the display for conversations.

It's similar to mine issue but not quite the same. The phone might be failing to translate the conversation participant's name.

If they're on iMessage you could try to set up a group message with another contact, and *don't* set a title or topic or name for the group; and I think it lists the participants and see if they still show as a number or if that makes them show as a name at the same time as them showing as a number on the other conversation; that might imply a corruption on the conversation. But I've never worked on the iOS platform software so I'm only going on how I would link these things together. Messages won't have access to the contact, but it will have the number. If the conversation has somehow had the number set as the title then you'd expect to also see that showing in the messages app which I guess you would have mentioned if that was happening.

Can you ask siri for that contact info from the lock screen? I've had issues where I've asked for a contact's address and Siri just retorts: "I cannot access that information at this time".

Do you have Touch ID on?

If so can you set your notification preference for Messages to only show when unlocked, then when the message comes through just raise to wake and rest your thumb but don't press (and don't have the old style unlock switched on so it doesn't fully unlock it just removes the padlock) this will "reveal" the message but also make sure you're unlocked and have full API access to contacts.

I'd say the sequence of number's is less likely.

SMS or iMessage?

Facetime / call result?

Nickname on contact?

Group message?

Touch ID message reveal test?

Jun 12, 2018 5:07 AM in response to iZian

OK, this was the sort of helpful reply I was looking for! 🙂

I am limited to some of these tests of course because he is a friend of mine, but not one I want to keep bothering, asking to send me text messages to test this issue if you know what I mean. I'll answer your questions as best as possible.

Yes, specific contacts and it is every time. Yes, the contact name appears at the top of the text window when I open the app, either directly or indirectly from the lock screen.

The contact does not have an iPhone, so I cannot test Facetime, thus he is a contact using SMS.

For the deletion of contact conversation/text history, I would prefer not to delete our conversation history, to the point where I would rather either put up with this (with it not being a massive issue) or wait for a fix, if it ever comes.

I've just set a nickname for him, so I will find out when he next texts me if that changes anything, I', waiting on a text back from him about something, so that will be decisive as to whether the nickname shows on the lock screen.

I asked siri for the contact details from my locked phone just now, she brought back the name and number with no issues.

I have touch ID on, but I will wait for the next message off him before I test that scenario with the phone only showing notifications when unlocked.

Cheers for your suggestions, let's see if I get anywhere with it

Jun 12, 2018 5:24 AM in response to Chrissaces

Did this start happening with iOS 11.4 ? Have you enabled anything recently like Messages in iCloud or similar?

Another thing I've read is in the settings turning "Short Name" Off and back on again (or on and off again), or change the setting on it.

I also thought about sim contact info but that shouldn't be read by the iOS device unless you are importing it, it should lie dormant.

And one last thought. If you delete the contact info and then go to the message app and find your conversation; if you open it up and go to the ℹ in the top right; then tap the phone number, do you get the option to "Edit" in the top right? like a ghost contact with the same number? it should at that point just have the options to create new contact and add to existing contact (amongst others)

Contact names not showing in text messages on lock screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.