Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

message says, "...cannot be added...may be unrecognizable...may not contain valid data"

I am trying to import photos from my iPhone to my apple laptop. About 800 photos covering about a 14 month period cannot be imported. the message says "some items cannot be added to your photo library because they may be an unrecognizable file format or the file may not contain valid data." Photos previous and post to this period had no problem being imported. what am i doing wrong? how can i fix this?

Posted on Jun 11, 2018 10:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2018 11:04 PM

Which system versions do you have installed on your iPhone and your Mac?

Just a hunch, but if you recently upgraded the iPhone to iOS 11, you may now need to upgrade the Mac to High Sierra to be compatible with the new image and video formats used by iOS 11 devices.

In that case check out this document to see how to set the Settings on your iPhone for more compatibility: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207022#working

If the new HEIF format is not the problem, tell us more about your devices. the system versions, the kind of images and videos you are trying to import, and where your Photos Library is stored on your Mac. Can you import the images and and videos in question, if you use Image Capture instead of Photos to import them to a folder in your Pictures folder?

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2018 11:04 PM in response to punadavid

Which system versions do you have installed on your iPhone and your Mac?

Just a hunch, but if you recently upgraded the iPhone to iOS 11, you may now need to upgrade the Mac to High Sierra to be compatible with the new image and video formats used by iOS 11 devices.

In that case check out this document to see how to set the Settings on your iPhone for more compatibility: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207022#working

If the new HEIF format is not the problem, tell us more about your devices. the system versions, the kind of images and videos you are trying to import, and where your Photos Library is stored on your Mac. Can you import the images and and videos in question, if you use Image Capture instead of Photos to import them to a folder in your Pictures folder?

message says, "...cannot be added...may be unrecognizable...may not contain valid data"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.