Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Regarding Photos on iOS

After upgrading to iOS 11.4 a couple of weeks ago, the Photos app did re-scan my whole photo library for faces.

But it stopped somehow near the end of it because it since then displays this message when I select the People album:

767 Photos scanned

To finish scanning your remaining 1555 photos, lock your iPhone and connect it to power.

Fortunately there is a button named "View People Album" below that message so that I eventually can get to the person album, but I would like to have all my photos scanned.

Upgrading to the latest iOS version did not fix it although the Photos app did upgrade the library.

Is there a way to force the Photos app to either continue the scan or force it to do a full re-scan?

Thanks,

Karan

P.S.: I am using an iPhone 5s and I am running on iOS 11.4

iPhone 5s, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 15, 2018 2:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2018 10:15 AM

You may have a photo or video on the iPhone, that cannot be processed and needs deleting. But that kind of error is very hard to track down.

Or the people database is corrupted. Then it would help to reset the people database and start over. To do that you would have to delete all named persons from the People album. Photos will then ask, if you want to restart the faces scan.

Or wait for the next update to iOS to see if a bug fix will take care of this problem.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2018 10:15 AM in response to M Junior

You may have a photo or video on the iPhone, that cannot be processed and needs deleting. But that kind of error is very hard to track down.

Or the people database is corrupted. Then it would help to reset the people database and start over. To do that you would have to delete all named persons from the People album. Photos will then ask, if you want to restart the faces scan.

Or wait for the next update to iOS to see if a bug fix will take care of this problem.

Jun 15, 2018 3:38 AM in response to M Junior

P.S.: I am using an iPhone 5s and I am running on iOS 11.4

Are you perhaps running iCloud Photo Library on the iPhone? Check the Settings, if the update to iOS 11.4 enabled iCloud Photo Library and "Optimize Storage". If Optimize Storage is on, try, if more faces will be scanned, if you force the download of more photos from iCloud by browsing all photos on the device enlarged. Zooming in on a photo will download it from iCloud, and then the Faces scan can access it directly.

Regarding Photos on iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.