Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t erase watch with broken touchscreen + unpaired

need to erase/reset my Apple Watch 2 to send in for repair/replace. I unpaired it from my phone (per initial instruction from Apple Support Rep), and it didn’t seem to erase it.... so I tried the Hard reset (Put on charging source, hold power button, hold power slide, press “Erase All content & settings...) but the last step is to press “Yes” when it asks if I’m sure. The problem is the bottom half of my cracked screen doesn’t sense touch, therefore I can’t press Yes, nor can I unlock due to the same issue. I also can’t pair it back now since I can’t unlock it. Please advise if there’s a possible option.

Posted on Jun 15, 2018 7:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2018 12:01 AM

Your watch probably erased when you tried from your iPhone. A failed erase message here seems to be misleading, probably because the watch doesn’t reply to the phone (it is no longer paired so it can’t reply). In any case it doesn’t really matter if the watch is going to Apple for repair, because it will be either exchanged or completely wiped in the repair process. If the erase failed your data is still safe behind your passcode and the watch is unusable because the screen is broken, so no passcode entry.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2018 12:01 AM in response to chrisricketts

Your watch probably erased when you tried from your iPhone. A failed erase message here seems to be misleading, probably because the watch doesn’t reply to the phone (it is no longer paired so it can’t reply). In any case it doesn’t really matter if the watch is going to Apple for repair, because it will be either exchanged or completely wiped in the repair process. If the erase failed your data is still safe behind your passcode and the watch is unusable because the screen is broken, so no passcode entry.

Jun 17, 2018 12:14 AM in response to Branta_uk

@Branta_UK

Very helpful... thank you!!

I wanted to assume this, but just doing my due diligence to first try to follow the instructions given to me by Apple prior to taking it in for repair/replacement. I figure they’ll erase it eventually regardless, but I didn’t want to spend extra time in the Apple store if it’s something I could handle first. Thanks again!

Jun 17, 2018 3:48 AM in response to chrisricketts

Two more thoughts on this problem.

If you had the watch enabled for Find My iPhone you should be able to do a remote erase if the watch is still detectable. If it can’t be detected it is probably already erased.

A cracked screen is very likely to be “accidental damage” not covered by warranty, so the Apple Store process will probably be a rapid inspection followed by “out of warranty repair, the cost will be £x for an exchange watch, or £y if you want to upgrade to a new Series 3”. My advice is if possible to allow enough time to setup and test the replacement before you leave the store. Most times there are no problems but you have the experts on hand if it won’t play nicely.

Can’t erase watch with broken touchscreen + unpaired

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.