Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An Apple ID is being used message

I woke up the iPad a few minutes ago, signed in, and received a popup message that

'Someone has signed in to iMessage or Face Time with your Apple ID on a new Mac. If you have recently logged on to (forget what was here) you can ignore this message. OK'

I hadn't, nor had anyone else in the house, but there was no option except that "OK".

Poorly designed message (no alternate choice), or a new type of Phishing attempt? When I eventually did tap "OK", the notice closed, and there was no further (visible) activity.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Suggested action, should it happen again?

Regards,

Barry

iOS 11.3

see message

Posted on Jun 18, 2018 5:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2018 9:30 PM

It'll do that each and every time you sign in or even re-sign in to FaceTime, Messages et c. even if it's not actually a new device and even if it's not the first time it was signed into on that device.

Fear not, though. Any and all devices that are signed into any or all of iCloud, FaceTime, Messages, iTunes & App Store et c. with your Apple ID will appear in your iCloud devices list which you can access via iCloud settings on your iOS devices as well as iCloud preferences on your Macs.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2018 9:30 PM in response to Barry

It'll do that each and every time you sign in or even re-sign in to FaceTime, Messages et c. even if it's not actually a new device and even if it's not the first time it was signed into on that device.

Fear not, though. Any and all devices that are signed into any or all of iCloud, FaceTime, Messages, iTunes & App Store et c. with your Apple ID will appear in your iCloud devices list which you can access via iCloud settings on your iOS devices as well as iCloud preferences on your Macs.

Jun 18, 2018 9:38 PM in response to Zoebe4

Thanks Zoe,

No strange devices showed up. But the information there indicated only 'currently' connected devices would be listed, which was true for the ones listed. If anyone had signed in on my account, they were gone by the time I checked.

Also missing from the list was the device I signed on with to check. Hmmm...

Regards,

Barry

Jun 22, 2018 9:05 PM in response to Barry

Come to think of it, this used to happen to me. Many times. Always right after I updated macOS or iOS and sure enough would find FaceTime had inadvertently been enabled on one or another of the devices. I think the Setup Assistant would enable it by default albeit with confirmation dialog in which I guess I would inadvertently touch "next" without toggling it back off. A couple of years ago, I once had reason to use FaceTime and thought it was cool so I enabled it across the board and the subject effect hasn't happened since (nor have I used nor had reason to use it since.) Anyway, I believe that once you're signed into iCloud it only takes a simple toggle to enable FaceTime.

Jun 19, 2018 6:28 AM in response to Barry

You might want to consider changing your password and making sure it is a strong one. You can also add 2 Factor Authentication to your account for more security. If the attempts continue, you might want to consider a name change.

Apple ID Name Change

Apple ID Password Change

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

Apple ID -Two-factor authentication

Two Factor Authentification availability

Apple ID - Using app-specific passwords

Apple ID - Two Step Verification App Specific Passwords

Apple ID - Two Step Verifications FAQ

An Apple ID is being used message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.