Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brightstar Apple Renew Scam - Who can I talk to at Apple about getting scammed by their device recycler?

I gave my wife a new Apple Watch for Mother's Day and thought I'd recycle her old device. I went on Apple's website and input the serial number resulting in a $75 quote. I accepted the offer and mailed the device to Brightstar. To my surprise, the reduced my quote to $0 dollars and said the watch wouldn't turn on. I rejected the $0 offer and requested the return the device. I sent in a working device and today I received my watch and it will not turn on.

Something seems fishy here, especially given the outcry from others that have had a similar experience. I hold Apple accountable for this especially since they are designated as Apple's recycler. I want to hear from someone at Apple concerning how you allow your customer to be scammed out of their devices?

Andre

Posted on Jun 21, 2018 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2018 3:08 PM

I had a similar problem. I sent in two iPhones without damage. My quotes were reduced to $0 due to reported. I rejected and had the iPhones returned. Fortunately, I took pictures of the iPhones prior to sending in the provided boxes. Brightstar suggested that I file a claim UPS. I submitted a claim with UPS. Now, here’s the scam. Since Brightstar provides the shipping label to/from the individual - Brightstar is the shipper. Any claim resolution is provided to Brightstar. You, the individual, will not be notified by UPS - even though you filed the claim. I found this out today when the UPS representative provided information pertaining to my claim when she thought I was from Brightstar. Once I explained that I was not, she would no longer provide information. So, I contacted Brightstar again - after 42 minutes, I was able to speak to a supervisor that said they would provide compensation. It has taken me over 4 weeks and countless emails and phone calls to get to this point. I still don’t think I will be compensated. At this point, I would not recommend Brightstar to anyone. You would have better luck and more fun by just busting your perfectly good Apple product with hammer than dealing with Brightstar.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2018 3:08 PM in response to andrefromabingdon

I had a similar problem. I sent in two iPhones without damage. My quotes were reduced to $0 due to reported. I rejected and had the iPhones returned. Fortunately, I took pictures of the iPhones prior to sending in the provided boxes. Brightstar suggested that I file a claim UPS. I submitted a claim with UPS. Now, here’s the scam. Since Brightstar provides the shipping label to/from the individual - Brightstar is the shipper. Any claim resolution is provided to Brightstar. You, the individual, will not be notified by UPS - even though you filed the claim. I found this out today when the UPS representative provided information pertaining to my claim when she thought I was from Brightstar. Once I explained that I was not, she would no longer provide information. So, I contacted Brightstar again - after 42 minutes, I was able to speak to a supervisor that said they would provide compensation. It has taken me over 4 weeks and countless emails and phone calls to get to this point. I still don’t think I will be compensated. At this point, I would not recommend Brightstar to anyone. You would have better luck and more fun by just busting your perfectly good Apple product with hammer than dealing with Brightstar.

Jul 16, 2018 12:45 PM in response to andrefromabingdon

I speak with the fine folks at Brightstar daily and contact Apple support regularly to let them know how poor my experience is with their business partner Brightstar. I get no responses and no satisfaction. What is comical is that if you speak with Apple, hey will tell you your recourse is to co tact Brightstar, who will only lie and give you the run around. I called Brightstar corporate in IL and they confided the call center is a contracted third party to them. So far I have been completely unable to speak with anyone at the management level of Brightstar. I believe the US District Attorney needs to get involved. How could such a reputable company like Apple be involved with a company that is so clearly a scam.

Jul 16, 2018 1:24 PM in response to Wcs0620

I’m experiencing the same problem. Absolutely horrible! Apple help out here!

I sent two iPhones to Brightstar Apple GiveBack in the shipping packages provided by Brightstar. The iPhones were an iPhone 6 (value $100) and an iPhone 5S (value $55) - in excellent condition. Once Brightstar received and accessed the iPhones, they reported that both iPhones were damaged, and the value was now $0 for both. Brightstar provided pictures showing the damage - most notable, with the iPhone 6 having a broken screen. My options were to recycle the iPhone and receive no compensation; or reject their offer of $0 and have the iPhones returned; but it was highly recommend that I file a claim with UPS.

Fortunately, I took pictures of the iPhones prior to shipping. There was no damage or a broken screen. I selected to reject their offer of $0 and have the iPhones returned. I also requested an investigation on how the iPhones were damaged. I had no success in finding out what happened to my iPhones. (The damage occurred either during shipping or their warehouse.)

Additionally, all correspondence with Brightstar has been extremely poor. I can never get a specific answer over the phone or via email.

It took weeks to get to speak to a “supervisor” at the call center. (I was originally told that the supervisors did not talk on the phone and only responded by email.)

In the interim, I filed claims with UPS that were ultimately approved. These claims covered the value of the iPhones that were reportedly damaged during shipping. Since I was not the official shipper, (I received shipping boxes and UPS labels from Brigthstar) UPS would not provide details on the approved claim. These approved claims meant that Brightstar was being reimbursed for my iPhones that were supposedly damaged during shipping. Brightstar Apple GiveBack did not make an attempt to notify me of the resolution with UPS. If I had not been persistent with Brightstar or UPS, I would have never known that my claim was approved by UPS. I’m starting to think that this is the plan.

If I did not follow up or waste an enormous amount of my time - I would just have to deal with two returned broken iPhones (wait - I still am). It’s only $155 total. The thing that bothers me is that I’m getting jammed here.

After weeks of dealing with Brightstar, I was recently told that I would be sent Apple Gift Cards to cover the iPhones.

I

am still waiting on the gift cards!

Brightstar Apple Renew Scam - Who can I talk to at Apple about getting scammed by their device recycler?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.