Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro Scratched/Cracked Screen

I recently bought an iPad Pro (10.5 inch) for college, and I’ve had it since June 5th. When I was using it today, I found, what looked to be, a rather large scratch on my screen. It looks to have started at the middle of the bessel, by the home button, and gone up to the screen about 1.5-2 inches. I have taken great care of my iPad thus far, and I’m perplexed to how the scratch appeared on my screen. I have an Apple Smart Case on it that stays on my screen at all times when I’m not using it. When I came home from work tonight, I inspected the iPad screen again, and it looks as if the scratch has expanded. My concern is that the scratch is in fact a crack, that will keep expanding. It looks as if the scratch may be a hairline crack. However, the crack does not originate from the corner of the iPad. It starts in the middle of the bottom bessel, by the home button. As I said before, I have taken great care of the product, as I have with my numerous other Apple devices in the past, and I have not dropped or intentionally done something to scratch the iPad. If y’all could please explain to me how this may have happened, if it is a crack or scratch, and if it is coverned under Apple’s warranty, that would be great. User uploaded fileIf I’m not mistaken, I do believe I have Applecare for the iPad. Would it be covered under the Applecare for a $50 replacement fee? Lastly, I have my iPad engraved on the back by Apple. It was free when I order it off the education website. If I choose to send my iPad to Apple to be replaced, using express replacement, will I recieve my new iPad with the same engraving before I send in my old iPad to Apple?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Posted on Jun 21, 2018 10:42 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jun 21, 2018 10:50 PM in response to NoahG333

If your iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad or iWatch is Broken

Apple does not usually fix iDevices except for screens and minor work they can do in their shop. Instead, they exchange yours for a refurbished or new replacement depending on the age of your device and refurbished inventories. On rare occasions when there are no longer refurbished units for your older model, they may replace it with the next newer model. You may take your device to an Apple retailer for help or you may call Customer Service and arrange to send your device to Apple: You can make an appointment at the Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar and take it in for service. You can also look for an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. You will find respective repair costs from the appropriate link:

1. iPod Service Support and Costs.
  2. iPhone Service Support and Costs.
  3. iPad Service Support and Costs.
  4. Apple Watch Service Answer Center.

Jun 21, 2018 11:37 PM in response to NoahG333

You needed to purchase the extended, two year AppleCare+ warranty at either the time of purchase or within 60 days of purchase to get the $49 fee replacement iPad.

If you didn’t purchase AppleCare+, you are NOT eligible for an iPad Pro replacement at the $49 replacement fee.

https://www.apple.com/support/products/ipad.html

Not sure what will happen, now as the standard, free, one-year AppleCare does not cover accidental/incidental damage and you are 4 days past the official 14-day return policy of your iPad Pro.

Bring your iPad Pro back to your “local” Apple Store for diagnosis, appraisal and costs, if any.

Since your iPad Pro is under 3-weeks old, maybe try and plead your case for leniency with Apple store employees and management to see if they might give you the replacement iPad Pro, either for free or for the $49 replacement fee.

If you have not purchased AppleCare+ yet, now would be a good time to do so as you’ll get one more year or Apple warranty coverage and one more coverage, in the following second year, of accidental/incidental damage if something bad should happen to that iPad Pro in its second year.

Good Luck to You!

iPad Pro Scratched/Cracked Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.