Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro (Model A1211) has stalled during the latest software update. What is my next step to fix this?

Not sure of the OS version nr as I had a technician install relevant programs when I bought it. This is where the update stopped. User uploaded file

Posted on Jun 23, 2018 9:55 PM

1 reply

Jun 24, 2018 6:37 AM in response to matrixboy9

Here is the rough timetable of the Install Process:

Start download from Mac App Store. This takes 20 minutes to an hour.

Once complete, start Installer. You specify disk on which to Install. [in Recovery, you may sometimes specify the drive FIRST.]

Install checks things out and then copies 5GB or more "MacOS Base System" to the destination drive. [In Recovery, "MacOS Base System" may be downloaded directly onto the specified drive.] Copy time is about 20 minutes to as much as 3/4 hour if your drive is slow. [if installing on the same drive as the download, this step becomes nearly trivial, and does not take any substantial amount of time.]

Installer sets startup to the new MacOS Base System and does a Restart.

>> a failure right here means you still have everything on your old drive, (plus about 6GB of MacOS Base system that does not work)

ONLY if Restart was successful do you begin replacing files to move to the new version of macOS. Time 30 minutes to 3/4 hour.

Restart again and comes up running the new version, in Setup Assistant.

Do a Restart and see if either your old or new MacOS comes up. If you get a blinking question mark, restart and hold the Alt/Option key at the chime, select your boot drive, and proceed.

My MacBook Pro (Model A1211) has stalled during the latest software update. What is my next step to fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.