Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iPad audio halt when magnetic cover is closed?

When audio content is playing on current new iPads (either pure audio from a podcast or audio from a video like YouTube) does the iPad halt the audio and sleep when the magnetic cover is closed? Is there an iOS setting which would just shut off the screen but allow the audio stream to continue (to earphones)? Are there covers or cases that do not have the magnets as in standard Apple covers?

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 24, 2018 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2018 2:54 PM

Sorry missed the YouTube test 😊

YouTube adverts / videos stop playing with the latest version of the app after about 1 second of the cover being closed.

YouTube Premium supports background playing (according to the pop up I get after the test) but I cannot try that for you as I do not have a subscription.

Similar questions

8 replies

Jun 24, 2018 3:35 PM in response to steveBinLA

If you use the YouTube app, audio/video should continue to play when iPad sleeps or the smart cover is closed.

The thing that does NOT work, without a monthly subscription/conscription to YouTube RED, is Picture in Picture ( PiP ).

To circumvent this Picture in Picture subscription feature limitation, look at a app in the iOS App Store for an app called Corner tube.

CornerTube - PiP for YouTube by Tiny Whale Pte. Ltd.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cornertube-pip-for-youtube/id1073199994?mt=8

Jun 24, 2018 3:50 PM in response to MichelPM

Would have agreed over the sound but YouTube launched Premium here in the UK recently (18th June) and the latest version of the App (13.23 from the 18th also) has changed its workings - a right royal pain for me as I used to listen to a fair number of long streams (1 hour +) but now have to turn the brightness right down so I am not distracted...

This impacts users in US, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, and Mexico as well as Austria, Canada, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Russia, Spain, Sweden as well as me.

A quick guide is Using YouTube Premium benefits - YouTube Help and drop down the 'Background Play' notes.

Jun 24, 2018 4:04 PM in response to andrewfrombonby

I am streaming YouTube right now from the app, from my iPad Pro to my Roku box to my flat screen TV and if I Iet my iPad display sleep OR close the cover the video is STILL playing.

I can even control playback from the lock screen or iOS Control Panel.

Does not halt the video.

Also, for some of the YouTube app limitations, I switch to accessing YouTube from a web browser, using the YT desktop website, instead.

Does iPad audio halt when magnetic cover is closed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.