Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect NTFS HD via Airport Extreme

I have a Seagate drive configured for Windows NT. I am able to connect it directly to my Macbook Pro and to my ancient Imac. I can get no response out of it when connecting it to the Airport Extreme. I am on High Sierra 10.13.5. Not sure what other specs might be relevant...

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Posted on Jul 2, 2018 9:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2018 11:52 PM

APFS is certainly no good.. so other than disks directly connected to the Mac running High Sierra.. forget it.

The airport can be kinda specific about what disks it reads and what it doesn't.

Also High Sierra... can be a dog to network drives.

First things first then.. does the disk show up under the disks tab in airport utility.. no disk there.. then it is unrecognised.

eg.. plug a disk into my current older TC..

User uploaded file

If the disk fails to show up.. remember no matter which airport you have it only runs USB 2.0 port. Some USB 3.0 disks have chipsets that simply fail to be recognised.

As Niel mentioned the powered USB hub is a good deal.. USB 2.0 btw.. it offloads the power demand.. a good thing.. as well as sometimes handing recognition better.

If it still fails.. Sorry but there is just not a lot you can do.. Plug in a USB memory stick to make sure everything is working as it should..

Also note speeds are very poor.. USB 2 on a router will be lucky to achieve 10MB/s read or write.

Are you running Gen 6 AE.. ie the AC wireless tower model?

Earlier ones do have bigger issues with power demands of self powered USB.. is your USB drive powered or not?

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2018 11:52 PM in response to tbgranttt

APFS is certainly no good.. so other than disks directly connected to the Mac running High Sierra.. forget it.

The airport can be kinda specific about what disks it reads and what it doesn't.

Also High Sierra... can be a dog to network drives.

First things first then.. does the disk show up under the disks tab in airport utility.. no disk there.. then it is unrecognised.

eg.. plug a disk into my current older TC..

User uploaded file

If the disk fails to show up.. remember no matter which airport you have it only runs USB 2.0 port. Some USB 3.0 disks have chipsets that simply fail to be recognised.

As Niel mentioned the powered USB hub is a good deal.. USB 2.0 btw.. it offloads the power demand.. a good thing.. as well as sometimes handing recognition better.

If it still fails.. Sorry but there is just not a lot you can do.. Plug in a USB memory stick to make sure everything is working as it should..

Also note speeds are very poor.. USB 2 on a router will be lucky to achieve 10MB/s read or write.

Are you running Gen 6 AE.. ie the AC wireless tower model?

Earlier ones do have bigger issues with power demands of self powered USB.. is your USB drive powered or not?

Jul 3, 2018 12:41 AM in response to tbgranttt

Your AE is ancient.. Gen3 I think.

When you click on the icon in the airport utility.. click on edit..

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Make sure you have enable file sharing turned on.

But it could just be too old.. and not able to handle the USB 3..

A USB 2 hub of any sort.. even unpowered might work.. since the disk itself is powered.

The end result is not going to be great.. and the speed over network totally pathetic.. which means you might want to reconsider this anyway.

If you buy a new wireless router.. then buy something like the Asus which offers USB 3 which can support all sorts of formats including HFS+..

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Using TM with it is a bit tricky and slightest change causes issues.. so I cannot recommend it .. yet for Time Machine.

Jul 2, 2018 11:52 PM in response to LaPastenague

Disk completely fails to appear in Airport Utility. None of the buttons on the top of your screen capture show up either...

Attempted thumb drive - no show there either.

All I know about the AE gen is Model number 1301... not helpful, I think. I see Version 7.6.9 when I right-click on the AE icon but I suspect that answers nothing as well.

The HDD (5 TB) is powered but I believe it is USB 3 - only about 6 months old.

I think I'm ready to call it a day with this idea. My hope was to be able to capture 15 years worth of photos from the Imac on the disk and unburden the Imac and keep the disk out of the kitchen where the Imac resides. The Imac is old and no longer supported so new software is being denied because of the old OS which also cannot be updated, and on and on.

It appears my best option is to capture the photos on the HDD directly and lug it between computers as needed. Considering the speed reality you have pointed out, it is seemingly a bad bet at best.

Many thanks for the kind inputs.

Connect NTFS HD via Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.