Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the photos built in print services finishing on September 30 2018

Hi everyone

On going to Photos projects today, got this message - see image. Does this mean that you won't be able to order calendars and books directly through Apple in future. Did I miss something?

Thanks

Kevin

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Mid-2013 27 inch I5 8GB RAM

Posted on Jul 10, 2018 7:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2018 1:02 AM

Thank you. It is no longer necessary for me, because the most recent upgrade to version 2.0.1 of Mimeo fixed the crashes. Mimeo is now behaving as expected for me and working as described here:

And this upgrade makes it also possible to start with a nearly empty book and to add more photos later. that is a nice improvement. Having to start with all photos at once and having them out-placed has been horrible.

45 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2018 1:02 AM in response to help_MimeoPhotos

Thank you. It is no longer necessary for me, because the most recent upgrade to version 2.0.1 of Mimeo fixed the crashes. Mimeo is now behaving as expected for me and working as described here:

And this upgrade makes it also possible to start with a nearly empty book and to add more photos later. that is a nice improvement. Having to start with all photos at once and having them out-placed has been horrible.

Jul 27, 2018 4:39 PM in response to happyhermes

Are these book finished? If so then save them as PDF files. There are two types of PDF files created: 1 - just begin to print the book and use the Save as PDF option. 2 - Hold down the Option key and click on the Buy Book button. This will create a PDF file with a page that's sized for the dust jacket, approx 32.8" wide, 8.9" high. There is a service that will print and bind books from the iPhoto and Photos PDF files, PrestoPhoto. I don't know if they've printed from the pdf file that includes the wide dust jacket page, but you can contact them and ask. lf not, dust jackets could be printed at a local printer on glossy paper if needed.

Unless Apple comes out with a new Photos version that won't allow creating PDF files for existing books, we should be able to continue to create PDF files of existing books.

I've been experimenting with the new print options and have found the following:

Mimeo:

Books: 6 sizes/styles

54 themes (25 in Photos 4) - 1,2,3,4,5,6,12,20 & 30 pics/page

100s of layouts - resize and relocate photos, change background color, add text

boxes to any page.

Calendars 14 themes (25 in Photos)

1-5 photos per page

photos and text in date boxes.

Cards: 4 styles/styles

38 themes - flat and folded

Motif:

Books 4 sizes/styles

7 themes - 1 thru 9 photos/page - 100s of layouts - change bg color -

Shutterfly:

Books 10 sizes/styles

15 themes

3 layouts - 1-12 photos/page

100s of layouts - some layouts with text. Need to sign to website in order to get all

of the available themes and layouts.

Gifts for Pet Lovers, Device Cases, Cards.

mpix: Prints, framed prints, canvas prints, metal prints, wood prints, acrylic prints

Panoramic books: 5 sizes, 2 cover choices, numerous layouts, create online thru

Photos. Very difficult to navigate.

WHITEWALL: Prints, framed prints, mounted prints.

WIX Photo Albums: 3 styles Online publishing of photo album.

FUJIFILM: Prints, Wall Art, Mugs & Drink ware, Home & Office, Large Format Prints,

So far, in my opinion, the best choice is Mimeo. It has the most versatile and user configurable books available. Even though Mimeo has their own website for creating books it works thru Photos rather seamlessly. It does have a steeper learning curve that iPhoto books had but is much more powerful, i.e. you can resize photos on a page and relocate, add text boxes to any page, etc.

Next, would be Motif, Shutterfly and mpix. Shutterfly and mpix would be the last on the list. Shutterfly required going online and working there, albeit thru Photos, and mpix was extremely difficult to navigate through and I was unable in the short time I worked with it to get a book started with my own photos.

So if you want to have the books printed by Apple you have a deadline to meet. Otherwise there are a couple of new reasonable options available.

User uploaded file

Jul 21, 2018 2:21 AM in response to help_MimeoPhotos

Perhaps you can help this user: creating offline albums in Photos for Mac

It would make Mimeo much more versatile, if it allowed us to work offline.

Like the user in the linked discussion, I like to work on photo project when I am traveling during long distance flights or long train rides, or when being on a vacation at remote places without internet, in a rustic cabin or in a tent.

Then I have the most time to create projects. Is it really necessary to require an internet connection to be able to change the layout of book pages, to add captions, to add photos?

Aug 7, 2018 6:30 AM in response to LarryHN

LarryHN wrote:

no one knows for sure since Apple has not really made any announcements - for sure converting them to PDFs -- Preview a print project in Photos or iPhoto to avoid issues ... -- will allow you to save them and print through another service like Presto Photo later

LN

Hi LarryHN,

We are actively working on our conversion service. In an upcoming release, you will be able to convert your Apple photobook to a Mimeo Photos photobook.

- Mimeo Photos Team

Jul 11, 2018 7:16 AM in response to soccerdad0071

no idea but it sure sounds clear - I get that today with High Sierra 10.13.6 too

with no Time Capsule, no print products, etc it sure seems that Apple is exiting the consumer market just like it exited teh professional market a few years ago

Surprising since Photos and print products seems to closely fit their IOS device growth stragety

LN

Jul 11, 2018 8:45 AM in response to soccerdad0071

You'd better take this warning seriously, that you will not be able to order any print products from Apple using Photos, when Photos 4.0 on Mojave comes out.

iPhoto is now giving the same warning, btw.

The only project extensions I could find to create a book - Mimeo Photos - keeps crashing, when I try to create a book in Photos with it.

Jul 28, 2018 2:05 PM in response to léonie

I'll do that after some more looking into what the other offerings are for each of the sites.

Jdel147:

Where did you hear that? I know that Apple had several printing facilities here in the US, one on the west coast, one on the east coast, etc., and then in other countries. Mimeo only has one in the US (east coast), in the UK and Germany.

Jul 31, 2018 1:15 PM in response to LarryHN

VentureBeat has an article out today saying that RR Donnelley is the company printing Apple photos since 2005.

Mimeo is not named in this article, but someone above says their were 2 providers? I don't know why they would leave out one from the article.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/07/31/rr-donnelley-reveals-role-as-apples-photo-pri nter-debuts-motif-plug-in/

Aug 7, 2018 6:20 AM in response to Old Toad

Hi Old Toad,

Apple has partnered with Mimeo for years to provide its customers with photo projects. You can read all of the details in our recent press release.

Mimeo Photos offers the same Apple themes, book sizes, materials, and print quality. Users have access to additional features for designing and creating photobooks, cards, and calendars.

- The Mimeo Photos Team

Aug 7, 2018 6:24 AM in response to happyhermes

happyhermes wrote:

We have literally tons of books created. Can they be saved in any other way so we don't lose them and can still order them?

Hi happyhermes,

We pride ourselves on making a product that, in every detail, matches the quality and consistency you have come to expect from Apple.

Our upcoming conversion service, converting your Apple photobook to a Mimeo photobook, is in the works.

- Mimeo Photos Team

Is the photos built in print services finishing on September 30 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.